Advice Request Please - Regarding Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Request Please - Regarding Monitors

Hi all. As u know, ive got my G400 MAX, however, my monitor is a 17" ADI Microscan 5P. It is ok, but max res is 1280x1024, and the refresh at this res is only 60.

I want a bigger better monitor but dont have loads of money to spend.

Can anyone suggest some decent 19"/20"/21" monitors preferably below £300? Allow high res + high refresh rate.

PS. What exactly is the refresh rate. Is 60 at 1280x1024 res ok to use permanently, I currently use 1152x864 with refresh rate at 75. This is alright but i would prefer to use a higher res.

Vertical scan rate in hertz (Hz) is how many times the screen can be painted from top to bottom in one second.

The more it "hurts" (Hz), the faster the image is painted on the screen. Lower refresh rates, like 60Hz, can give you a headache due to visible flicker.

Until you get a monitor to support higher refresh rate, view at 1152x864 @ 75Hz. You will be able to sit in front of it longer due to less visible flicker thus reducing eye strain.
    --------------------------------------------
    Since I have no idea how much "L"300 is, I dare not suggest a monitor in US $. Heck, I cant even make the "L" right.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 06 November 1999).]
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

I don't no if I am ignorent. But why 19" and more ? How about a good 17"? Let's say a VewSonic GF775. I have one he do's 1280X1024 with 85 Hz. He can do 1600X1280 but with 70 Hz.

------------------
      Sorry for my English.
      A G400 in a new G4 have wing's
      My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
      --------------
      I will try to use a dictionary when I can't
      (Corrected by Robert&Collins dictionary)
      Credit Card numbers Visa expiration date 2005 N:5125 1548 6548 please dont steel

Comment

75hz should give you no eye strain period. Also, refresh rate effects the frame per second you can get. That is why when you benchmark programs you turn the Vsync off on your 3d card, that way it will not sync the frames with the refresh rate.

[This message has been edited by rickn (edited 06 November 1999).]

Comment

For a 19" monitor I find one of the best buy for the buck is an Optiquest V95. http://www.optiquest.com/products/products.htm
          It's about £300 or so.

Comment

As i said, i currently am using a 17" monitor. I really want a bigger one and decent refresh rate and high res.

Comment

Hi rduck,

Try Hitachi's CM753ET (19''). I'm using 1280x1024@85Hz right now (it can go up to 100Hz I think). It is not very expensive and it has decent performance.. The controls might buffle you a bit though...
              PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

I have a 19" Viewsonic G790 and I do NOT reccommend it. It does everything you ask, and the controls are great, but the (desktop) picture is really "pixelated" (is that a word?).

I heard hitachi tubes are really nice (I regret not getting one), but like GD said, are heard the controls were designed by a retarded person.

I think the reason I think my viewsonic sucks is because I previously had a 17" trinitron. If you have the money, you really can't beat that picture. And if you disagree because of the microscopic grill lines, you can kiss my ass.

just my $0.02 -joe

I don't know what that bizarre 'L' is either, but it can't be too important because it isn't on my keyboard $$$$ (c=

Comment

rjcarr. No I don't want to kiss your ass
                  It may be that your vewsonic is suck. But vewsonic do's very very good screen if you pay for it. I don't have the same problem as you with my GF775.

------------------
                  Sorry for my English.
                  A G400 in a new G4 have wing's
                  My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
                  --------------
                  I will try to use a dictionary when I can't
                  (Corrected by Robert&Collins dictionary)
                  Credit Card numbers Visa expiration date 2005 N:5125 1548 6548 please dont steel

Comment

I have Hitachi CM752ET:s both at home and at work, and they are very good monitors. So far I have bought some 5 or 6 of them and everyone has been stunned at the quality and the controls (in a positive way).
                    Officially they will go up to 1600x1280, but unofficially 2048x1536 was no problem.

GD, what is wrong with the controls, they are the best I've seen in any monitor (unless they have changed between the 752 & 753).

Pertti

Comment

I Have a 19" Sony GDM400PS, and am VERY satisfied with it. I use 1152x864x32 at 85Hz all the time. It will go to 1600x1200, and the picture quality is awesome

Oh, and it has BNC connections on the back, which come in handy. You might find one for 300 pounds (also don't know the code for the sign ) Not sure of the current exchange rate though.

------------------
                      Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Got an 17" ADI Microscan 5G -- goes up to 1600x1280 at high refresh, great crisp clear picture.

Anything with an hitachi tube and without a short neck should do you great, both quality and pricewise.

Comment

Hi pertti,

All the previous monitors I had were awful so I can't say I have much experience in this... I just read in PC PRO that Hitachi's controls are not very good so I guess other monitors are better in this area...

I have not problems with the controls myself but I guess this is because I 'm used to it now.

------------------
                          PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

So how many US dollars is 300 of the different little "L" symbol?
                            MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                            Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                            512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                            Matrox P
                            X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                            LianLiPC70

Comment

Well i have got a Hitatchi CM752ET, specs say 1600x1200@80hz, but mine does 83hz.

And i USE 1600x1200 so the pic is really great. =)

PeTe

---------------
                              Cel300A@463,128PC100,Matrox G400MAX,Hitatchi 19" CM752ET+Nokia 15" Valuegraph 449E, 21Gb HD etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X