Will G400 work with my system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will G400 work with my system?

I contemplating replacing my current video card (V3) with a standard G400 (not MAX). However, I've owned a G400 previously, and simply couldn't get past the random lockups, corrupted screens etc., even with all the troubleshooting advice available here and from Matrox. Back then I used an AOpen MX6B-EZ motherboard (slot 1, ZX chipset, MicroATX), with MicroATX case (AOpen MT85) and SB Live Value. I just wouldn't work, so I gave up on it and swapped the card for the V3.

I've since upgraded my system to the following:

AOpen AX6B Pro Gold m/b
    AOpen LX45 ATX case w/235W PSU
    SB Live! Value (still got that one)

Have any of you had good or bad experiences with this setup and the standard G400? I really like the card, but don't want to spend my time troubleshooting once again.

Any input appreciated.
    Lars
    "We expect the minimum requirement for Falcon 4.0 to be a 486/DX50 system..." CGW article on Falcon 4.0 development, 1995.

I use the AX6B mobo with my G400 just fine, you should be ok.

Comment

Do a search on these forums for issues with the G400 and SB live. Don't recall any unsolvable problems, but you may have to pay attention to how they get along.
      Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
      CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
      Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

...but don't want to spend my time troubleshooting once again
        Gramkow, everyone of us is spending alot of time tuning our card to our favour every time a new driver is out. And that's for the G400, the nVidia cards and the new Voodoo5.

If you don't want to spend time setting it up properly, don't bother to upgrade to another videocard. (!!)

For everytime you go to another videocard, you will have to spend time on deleting drivers, downloading the latest drivers for your new videocard, setting up your videocard and setting up Windows for the new card etc.

If you think you lack the time and still think Plug&Play is Plug&Play, buy a Dreamcast or something alike !!

Jorden.

[This message has been edited by Jord (edited 14 April 2000).]
        When I chose to go out
        I always leave the light on
        when I have to stay in,
        you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
        now that I'm living on my own,
        and while they've never been more right,
        can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

Jorden,

I work as a systems administrator for a company in the electronics business (we manufacture PCB's for military & aerospace use) + build systems as a hobby as well - and as such I think I have quite an extensive knowledge of how PC hardware & software works. I've owned V1, V2, V3, Banshee, Rendition (yeah, I know..), Riva 128, TNT1, TNT2 & G400. I have never had any unsolveable installation / tuning problems apart from the G400, which I spent the best part of 2 months trying to get working - without success. I had the card replaced twice - but still trouble. I even had it running as the only card in the PC - still the same. Make no mistake, I did like the G400 a lot - but as much as I liked it, I did not want to invest more time in it at the time. I am simply trying to avoid the same situation this time around.

Plug & Play - Pah!
          I think it should be called Plug & Pray...

Lars
          lgn@printca.dk www.printca.dk

"We expect the minimum requirement for Falcon 4.0 to be a 486/DX50 system..." CGW article on Falcon 4.0 development, 1995.

Comment

Okay Gramkow,

I'l lay a little lower these days

But if you give us your IRQ numbers, as well as which drivers you like to use, we might help you a bit further these days. You seem to have gotten yourself a new mobo, which more people are using, so many people will now give you options on how to try to do things, be it in the BIOS or by jumpering something on your mobo.

Sorry for my earlier flame.

Jorden.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
            X