Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checkers in mjpeg encoded video. Is this the way it is or am I doing something wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checkers in mjpeg encoded video. Is this the way it is or am I doing something wrong?

When I encode video using mjpeg on my g400 Marvel I get nasty checkers in the encoded video. You can also see the checkers in the matrox's PC-VCR program view window while it is recording but it goes away when you stop. This only happens to me with mjpeg. I don't think it is a result of artifacts from jpeg compression, because the size of the blocks do not change at all with a change in the encoded resolution. In fact, they become less noticable as I turn the compression up.

One thing of note though, I can only notice the checker effect when I am playing the mjpegs back using a software codec (morgan). But I'm sure they are actually encoded in the files.

Is this normal for mjpeg compressed video? Or is this a skunky side effect of my motherboard (Abit BP6) Or perhaps is my hardware defective?

Here's part of a frame encoded at 704x480 with the lowest compression (6.6-1 I believe)
    Notice how the checker blocks larger than the actual pixels in the image.

John Helmke
    jahelmke@students.wisc.edu

Are you in a 32-bit colour mode, if you aren't it might be doing colour dithering.

Salacious

Comment

Yep I'm in 32 bit.. The checker thing over areas of constant color is really annoying though. Normally the RR/G200/G400 Marvel doesn't do this right?

Comment

No, it doesn't normally do this.

How does the TV-out look when you play clips back?

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
        X