Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE: G400 Severe installation problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE: G400 Severe installation problems...

I have here a not so uncommon problem with my G400 Dual Head Max AGP:

After successful installation of all drivers and some first tests (all working fine), my system crashes when switching to the desktop after the splash screen, and strange lines and artefacts will be shown on the monitor.

The system performs well when using the generic VGA drivers supplied with Win98SE, however, the system will no longer work with the Matrox drivers.
    I have found this issue on the forum, but that was with VIA / ALi chipsets, not with the Intel BX. For the BX, there is no update.

My configuration, and what I´ve tried already:

CPU P3-600E (CopperMine), MB ChainTech 6BTM (i440Bx), 256MB RAM, Targa Monitor, SBLive! 1024 with updated drivers, SMC1021 Ethernet, AVM Isdn Modem card.

AGP ApertureSize = 256 MByte
    No IRQ conflicts
    Slot 1 left empty
    tried supplied, certified and newest drivers -> same results

PLEEAAAASEEE help me... I have no idea what to do next!

defdepp

Since I haven't had any problems with my G400, I can't give you exact answers, but one thing I always do when I get to the point that I've tried just about everything is take all my cards out of my computer except for the problem card and vid card(in this case just leave the vid card in) and boot it up. If it boots without crashing there there is a good chance you have an address conflict or something along those lines. Is anything overclocked?
    Why don't you tell us a little more about your system such as OS, slots your cards are in, IRQ's they are using, driver versions, BIOS versions, etc...

Dave

------------------
    I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

One more thing, you might want to try a not so new driver or two
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Helevitia,
        Thanks for the quick answer. I just took all other cards out of the machine as you recommended, deinstalled all drivers, reinstalled the matrox drivers: Same as before
        I really had hoped that it was "just" a conflict with whatever...

Drivers: trying with 5.25 and 5.52
        Bios: 1.5 - 22 (seems uptodate)
        MB: ChainTech 6BTM i440BX, Bios uptodate
        Matrox: sits firmly in AGP slot, no more other cards now. Uses IRQ 11, but tried others already

Comment

This has nothing to do with your motherboard drivers, which is good, because after two years without an update, I wouldn't expect one.

Are you overclocking your front side bus?

What kind of power supply are you using?

Are all video caching and shadowing options disabled in your motherboard BIOS.

Sitting firmly in the slot is often not good enough. It has to be all the way in the slot and properly aligned. The plate that attaches to your case may be just a little off. When you screw the board into the case, the back of the card can lift just a hair, and then trouble starts.

Remove and replace the board. Make sure there isn't any dust in the slot. When you replace the board, make sure it is all the way in the slot and properly aligned, and that it stays that way when you screw in the plate.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Here's some backup to what paulcs just said...

There has been an issue with seating the G400 properly with some Motherboard/Case combinations.

Here's what I think is happening with some cases/mother boards.

Other things to do:

IRQ's: Make sure the G400 is on IRQ 9 or higher. And leave the first PCI slot under the AGP slot empty.

AGP Aperature: In the system Bios set the aperature to 128 or 256.

Also, there may be problems with excess noise on some motherboards. You may try removing any fans plugged into the three pin motherboard power connectors and use the 4 pin adapters to connect directly to the power supply.

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Try installing the PowerDesk5 Registry Hack "forceAGP2x.reg". Can be found somewhere in the util section here.
              This solved the exact same problem for me in Win98(SE).

BTW - I am currently looking for an equivalent registry hack for Windows 2000 Prof.

Fozzie

Comment

Hi defdepp,

My first G400 vanilla (=non-Max) showed the same problems you have. Also on a BX board, and no matter what I did, it wouldn't budge. I finally sent it back to the dealer to receive a new one. Which also had some of the problems you describe above, but not as severe, and I found out it was due to heat.

Have you checked the temperature inside your PC-case? Do you keep the PC-case closed all the time? You might want to try booting your PC with the case completely open, (all sides off, so the airflow is good enough) and check if you still have these problems.

If not, you'd better run with the case open or get a good casefan (and there's people enough here who can give you advice on that. Most of them will be readily available in Germany. Casefans that is... )

If it's not heat it might be the mis-aligning both Paul and Pauly described above.
                (Internal message to Pauly: I put the pics in the FAQs Forum, so whatever you do, don't delete them )

Jorden, who just let slip by a cheap 650E CuMine, because his P2B wasn't the right revision
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                X