New Win2000 driver problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Win2000 driver problem

I can't get the new W2k drivers, v. 5.04, to install. It gets to the end of the install process and then aborts, saying "Installation cancelled. Your display software may not work properly. To install properly, run this setup program again."

Duh! I've tried half a dozen times but no joy.

I have a G400 dualhead, BX mb, 128 megs RAM, P2-550, etc.

Anyone have a solution?

Are You sure that Your G400 is NOT MAX?
    They say: http://www.matrox.com/mga/drivers/files/w2k_504.htm
    that MAX is NOT supported yet.

Comment

No, I have the G400 dualhead. But I have now managed to get it working by trying to install it through the System\Hardware Devices\Properties, etc., manouevre. This also crapped out the install and insisted on a reboot to boot! When it started again my G400 was disabled! Sheesh!! So I re-enabled it and then had it seek out the proper certified driver. Now it works, but what a hassle.

Comment

Huh!
        I have G400/16, Cel300, 64Mb RAM on LX MoBo at home and gonna try 5.04 drivers this weekend. Let's see what happens.

Comment

Huh!
          I have G400/16, Cel300, 64Mb RAM on LX MoBo at home and gonna try 5.04 drivers this weekend. Let's see what happens.

Comment

Weird.. I've a Mill G200. When starting setup of these new drivers, it complains there's no compatible card found. Okok, matrox said they are G400 only. Bu then, why are there (newer!) G200 drivers included in the ZIP? OpenGL version of the g200icd.dll went from 5.3.25 to 5.4.26.

Has anybody yet tried to copy these files manually for their G200?

Comment

It seems odd to me that these new drivers would support the G400 but not the Max version. There is no substantive difference between the cards aside from clock speed. Maybe the drivers set the speed explicitly and by using them on a MAX it would underclock it. Who knows?

Comment

I'm really confused about these drivers not being for the MAX. As the previous poster said, I was not aware of any driver-targetable hardware differences between the G400/G400 Max.

The problem I have is that the vanilla G400 I bought is actually a MAX in disguise (5ns Ram, fan power connector). I have been overclocking this to MAX speeds since I got it with no problems. So should I wait for the MAX version of the 2000 drivers?

Comment

No, you have a regular G400 not a max, so install these drivers if you wish.

Rags

Comment

This is interesting, please tell us what is different about the max, I too thought it was the same as the g400. I have a max and use win2000 90% of the time, so this statement suggests that I should stay with 5.03.
                    Thanks

Comment

Where does it say the G400Max is not supported? I looked at the *release note* (if you call that a release note!) and all it says is

Notes and known issues:
                      - Sorry, release notes are not yet available.
                      - This driver was revised to include MMS product support.
                      - This is a Windows 2000 driver for G400, G200 and G100 products (excluding Marvel products). Drivers for older Matrox products are contained within the latest build of Windows 2000.

I interprete that the G400Max is one of the G400 product. Am I wrong?

Comment

dwright,

Yes, use the 5.03 drivers. Some new drivers with more complete support will be available sooner or later.

HDOutfitter,

I think you are looking at the 5.03 drivers, not the 5.04 drivers.

Rags

Comment

I've been using 5.04 since a couple of days ago when they first appeared on the ftp site of Matrox. I've got a G200 Marvel, and they seem to work fine for me, except for a few D3D issues that were already there in previous drivers.

(You're right it has a complete driver set. Just try upgrading from device manager, the ONLY way. None of that setup.exe crap for me.)

AlgoRhythm

Comment

AlgoRhythm, so you have no probs using it for your g200M? Any speed differences with these and older drivers?

Comment

Algorythm:

The rest of us in the really real world have to run the Matrox setup utility, or our computers poop all over us.

- Gurm

------------------
                              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X