No announcement yet.

Does MSP *need* Quicktime for anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does MSP *need* Quicktime for anything?

Apologies - possibly a little bit off-topic but didn't know where else to ask...

I don't have the luxury of a dedicated video editing PC so as well as MSP5.2 VE, it runs a *lot* of games and other stuff.

I have been trying to load some new software on my PC (The Learning Company's BodyWorks 6) but with no luck. Their tech support suggested removing all my QuickTime installations (v2.1.2.59 and v4.0) and letting their program install its own version, whatever that is.

Can anyone tell me whether I will mess up MSP by doing this? I do not (knowingly) use QuickTime for any movie input, output or editing; its all mjpeg from camcorder to VHS vcr.

Thanks.

Spec:
    PII350, QDI Brilliant1, 128Mb, 10.1Gb, Marvel G200, SB Live Full / Liveware 3.0, Win98SE, all latest 'critical updates'

Since MediaStudio Pro is a native
    .AVI editor and its built-in
    Smart Render feature only works
    on .AVI files... I can't see why
    anybody would edit Quicktime files
    unless they had no other video editor.

Beware Learning Company software.
    I installed Calendar Creator 6 and it
    wiped out Corel WordPerfect. The
    Learning Company tech support admitted
    it, advised me to seek a refund, which
    I did----and it took them almost 8
    months to get the refund check processed!

Comment

The Learning Company was just taken over by Mattel ;-)

On the other hand I've use their PrintMaster product for years with excellent results and no conflicts. I'm up to version 8 Platinum now.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

According to Apple Tech Support:

"It is valid and feasible to have as many as three different versions of QuickTime on a Windows 95- or Windows NT-based system.

QuickTime 2.1.2 16-bit
        QuickTime 2.1.2 32-bit
        QuickTime 3"

That page: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.n...ment&quicktime

I believe this article was posted before QT4 was out, so I think it replaces QT3 on the above list.

The trick is that different software will depend on different versions of QuickTime; old 16-bit programs need QuickTime 2.1.2 16-bit, old 32-bit programs need QuickTime 2.1.2 32-bit, and newer 32-bit programs need QuickTime 4. My suggestion: leave your QT 2.1.2.59 on and allow the program to install its own version, since apparently it's not finding one of the above.

If instead you want to follow tech support's advice, I tried removing QT3 from my machine and had no problems starting Video Editor. (Just avoid trying to make QuickTime movies with it; it'll crash if you try to save one) If, at some point, you do want to make QuickTime movies, just install QT3 (on the CD) or QT4 (off the website).

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

Tried uninstalling both QuickTime versions over this weekend but BodyWorks still won't run - oh well. The important thing is that MSP still works!

Comment

Working...
          X