Win2k reboots after loading drivers?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k reboots after loading drivers?!

Well, I just got my new ASUS K7V motherboard, and decided to do a fresh reload of Windows 2000. W2K had worked fine with my previous board, a K7M, (I like ASUS, what can I say?) But I only used it for a couple of days before the new board got here. Anyway, everything goes fine during installation. Then I load the Win2k drivers for the Matrox card. I reboot, and Windows starts choking and wretching at that point, refusing to load the GUI. I get the splash screen, and the status bar goes all the way to the end, then the screen goes black and it reboots my machine. I can work fine in VGA mode, but it's pretty ugly. Anyone know what the problem might be? I had it working for a couple reboots by installing the 5.03 drivers from VGA mode, but then I installed DirectCD and rebooted, and it killed me again. I'm an A+ Certified tech, so I've tried the usual stuff to no avail. The card's alone on IRQ 11. AGP Aperture set to 128. AGP filter driver is installed.

I've resorted to a dual-boot system with Win98 and Win2K, so I can keep fraggin' away while I figure this out, but it's killin' me nonetheless. Any suggestions?

My system:
    ASUS K7V
    AMD Athlon 650MHz - not overclocked (yet)
    128MB Infineon PC133
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 13.6GB ATA66
    Generic CD-ROM (Sounds like a rc airplane)
    Plextor Plexwriter 8x4x32x CD-RW (sweeet)
    onboard sound (blech, but w2k can't do A3D)
    Matrox G400 32MB DH
    3Com 3C900B 10/100 NIC

Hi!

You have a Motherboard with a other chipset, but is evenso a VIA and I think you have the same problem like me and other users.

I have possibly posted a solution at the Matrox forum for your problem:
    http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/000377.html

Please wrote me if it works on your system !

Neubi

------------------

Comment

If you have any problems to disable ACPI in your BIOS ,i have read in "c't magazin 5/2000" some other possibilities.

1. Set your "Computer" in the Windows 2000 "Device-Manager" manually from "ACPI..." to "Standard-PC".
      You do this on your own risk , says Microsoft.

2. If you "Reinstall" or "Update" your Windows 2000 with rebooting from CD you can activate a hidden option.
      While the Setup shows this message at the gray border on the blue setup screen "Press F6 ....." you should press (!!!Attention!!!) "F5" for a hidden menu, where you can choose your "Computer".

Neubi

------------------

Comment

Well, my problem appears to be fixed. All I did was flash to the newest BIOS, 1004.03b and when I rebooted, it detected a PCI to PCI bridge and a bunch of other stuff that ran by too fast for me to read it. Anyway, upon rebooting again, the drivers were finally working, and so far everything has been great. Of course, this is with the 5.03 drivers, but I think the problem really was in the BIOS and that the 5.04 drivers will work fine now. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions, Neubi. And if anyone else has this problem, maybe this thread will help you.

Comment

Working...
        X