Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does PDESK.EXE do in the background?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does PDESK.EXE do in the background?

Hi,

I'm running the Powerdesk v 5.52.015 on my Mystique G200 AGP card.

I've noticed lately (with some concern), that PDESK.EXE wakes up every now and then (around one hour) and uses up about 20% of CPU time, for about 10 minutes, doing... what ?? Anybody know? But more important, anybody know how to disable that?

It's really horrible when it happens as I'm running some CPU-intensive tasks, like watching a DVD.

Thanks for your help.

delete it from your run registry

hklm\software\microsoft\windows\nextobsoletev
    ersion\run

Comment

....or if you don't want to edit your registry, use System Tools and remove it from start up.

Comment

You won't have it on when you enter Windows, but if you acces it (Control Panel-Display-Settings-Advanced) to change some refresh rates or whatever you need, after you've closed it, it will still remain running in the background.

Comment

Well, someone posted this a while ago when the 5.41 drivers came out, and the solution was to simply take the powerdesk off a 5.30 version. I don't know if this occurs only with the G200 boards or also with G400s but you unzip 5.52 drivers and 5.30 drivers and then copy everything that starts with PD from your 5.30 directory and overwrite the same files in 5.52 dir.. that way you'll get 5.52 drivers and 5.30 Powerdesk that doesn't seem to have that problem...

edit:
          Of course you have to install the drivers after you've done the thing with copying...

[This message has been edited by Goc (edited 03 April 2000).]

Comment

Johny Ray,

That only applies to Win98.

Comment

Working...
            X