Matrox g400 won't work in HP Pavillion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox g400 won't work in HP Pavillion

I can't get the G400 to work in my HP Pavillion 8496.

I have changed the MB jumper to disable the on-board video, changed the BIOS setting to AGP, I've removed the PCI card next to the AGP slot, I've checked to make sure it was seated correctly, I tried installing while using standard VGA. Nothing works. The computer will start up, but I get no video. (the card DID work in my Sony, but I don't want to use it on the Sony)

HP support has not helped. There is one HP BIOS update listed, but it says that it is only for fixing a problem with a Diamond sound card.

Has anyone gotten the G400 to work in an HP?

Jerel Peterson

Put your old video card back in/on and go into the bios and change the AGP Aperture setting to 256, save the settings, exit, shutdown, remove/turn off your other video card, install the G400 reboot and you should be in like flynn.

Rags

Comment

Not possible with an on-board videochip, Matt...

Maybe a better way is to install the G400, and then jumper the BIOS jumper to flush, boot, close down, jumper the BIOS jumper to normal, boot and then disable the onboard-video through the BIOS.

Jord.
      When I chose to go out
      I always leave the light on
      when I have to stay in,
      you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
      now that I'm living on my own,
      and while they've never been more right,
      can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

I can't find anything about 'aperture' settings in the bios. Do you know where it is on the HP?

Jerel Peterson

Comment

This is speculation,so I can't say this is the way,
          If you disable on board video via the jumper on board and with the g400 not installed,will the system still start and can you access bios?
          If the system should start and you can access bios.
          Shutdown and then install the g400.
          Now,follow Jorden's suggestion.(resetting bios via jumper,etc.)
          If there is a setting for agp aperture,it may be under advanced settings for memory allotted to video or something along these lines.
          HP uses a lot of Matrox video cards in their systems,so I don't think there's a problem with compatability.
          What you're hoping to see in bios,that both devices are detected(on board ATI video and the g400)and from there disable the onboard via bios and hopefully the g400 will work.
          I'm sure that's where the problem lies.(ie.bios setup)
          Hopefully someone out there has a similar system and has solved the riddle.
          Good luck!
          Here's a link,someone else that couldn't get it to work,maybe you can use some of the things there. http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/002636.html

[This message has been edited by Alfie (edited 02 April 2000).]

Comment

Working...
          X