Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommendation for apeture size for g400 under win2000pro

Hi guys.

I have a question for you. Any recommendation what about apeture size for G400 under w2k. I have 384 mb ram and g400 single head with 16mb ram. I don't have any problems with my system, but to make sure I want to hear any oppinions about that issue.
    Also, maybe someone can tell me how big suppose to be swap file in my configuration?
    Asus p3b-f p3 600E 512mb ram pc100 G400 sh 16mb sb live x-gamer ibm hd 20gb 7200rpm ide 3com 56.6 modem 3com 905b nic asus 50x plextor 4832 cdrw ide viewsonic gt775 hp dj720 hp sj 4100c Win 2000 pro

It depends on your motherboard. If you have a deficient BIOS (some FIC boards, for example), you may need to decrease the aperture size to 4MB in order to make it run. If, however, your aperture is already higher and you have no problems, then you should follow the basic rule of aperture size:

- Half of your system RAM (rounded down).

So, in your case, this would be the 128 MB mark. If you have problems here, experiment to find what works with your board.

As far as your swap file, the general rule is to double your system RAM and then some. So for you, at least 768MB, probably more like 850 or so.

Hope this helps!

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

well just to update you I just finished installing my new pa-2013 rev 2.1 (the one that FIC says supports 32 meg cards and works fine with win2000 and I still cant raise my apeture size any higher than 4 megs without getting a black screen with my G400. Now I did not format the HD and freshly install win2k after i switched mobos, should I ? jediphoenix

------------------
      <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
      " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
      </A>
      <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
      " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
      </A>

Comment

I'm using Asus p3b-f mobo with 6 pci, and I'm running p3 600E o/c 800.

Now, my apeture size is set to 256mb.

as far as my swap file, I don't see any advantage of using swap sile about 800mb. Is that make sense. I want to use swap file as smal as possilbe to prevent from using hard drive, and I'm planing to add another 128mb ram to my system so in total I'll have in few days 512mb. Following you (I'don't know if that is your procedure) I will have to have over 1gb for swap file??????? Isn't that stupid???
        Asus p3b-f p3 600E 512mb ram pc100 G400 sh 16mb sb live x-gamer ibm hd 20gb 7200rpm ide 3com 56.6 modem 3com 905b nic asus 50x plextor 4832 cdrw ide viewsonic gt775 hp dj720 hp sj 4100c Win 2000 pro

Comment

mlody,

We could get into a big discussion of swap file technology over in the general hardware forum if you wanted. However, suffice it to say that, for WINDOWS, you really do need to have double your RAM. NT Servers routinely have gigabytes of swap. There are even knowledge base articles about circumventing the 4GB limit on swap space, and having 16 or 32 gigabytes of SWAP!

I know it sounds silly, and compared to Linux' swap scheme (very small swap) it is. But that's how Windows programs work. They're memory hogs. If you have a program (like photoshop) that can easily take up 128mb all by itself, and then you load up a couple more programs that are big, all of a sudden you're out of RAM!

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Gurm.

The "2x your RAM" "rule" was bandied about back in the day when 16 mb or RAM was the norm.

When you get into the "I got a server, y0" amounts of RAM like mlody is packing, it doesn't make sense to make your swap file bigger than your amount of RAM.

In mlody's case, I would think that 384 mb swap would be fine for him/her now, and 256 once (s)he goes to 512 mb of RAM.

Sure, under Windows you NEED a swap file (god only knows why you can't run the damn thing with no swap when you have crazy amounts of RAM, but there you are...) but it doesn't need to be all THAT big.

For myself, I have 192 mb of RAM, and also set my swap to 192 mb. Works fine for me. I can't reacall ever even exceeding 192 mb of memory usage, even with all sorts of stuff open.

(of course it ultimately depends on what you use your computer for...mlody must have all that RAM for a reason...)

ph0rk
            Cory Grimster
            <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com"TARGET=_blank>www.houseofhelp. com</A>
            <A HREF="http://www.2cpu.com"TARGET=_blank>www.2cpu.com</A>

Comment

thanx ph0rk

Fanally, I got another 128 and now my system is running 512mb ram
              It is not a server, just stand alone workstation, and I don't do anything which require a lot of mamory. I don't play any games except soltarie or minihunt, but I'm using a lot of programs at the same time like 10 different IE.

Comment

Working...
              X