G400 is no go at AGP=89 on P3B-F FSB=133 & AGP2/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 is no go at AGP=89 on P3B-F FSB=133 & AGP2/3

I'm looking for a good AGP graphics card for a FSB=133 BX chipset system.

Many report that the G400 works. BUT in the article at Tom's Hardware "Exploration into Overclocked AGP Graphics" (http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q1/000321/index.html) The G400 is reported to NOT work! Further the author reports to me that: "When switched to that setting, the BIOS wouldn't even come up. No beeps, no weird video, just failure. I tried setting the BIOS for "tame" settings before making the transition but it still failed." and "It was the retail DualHead G400 and G400 MAX. All my cards have the dual output. I've tried 2 of each."

What's going on? Some say that they have the G400 running at AGP=100 and faster! The above report from Tom's hardware is rather convincing!

Oh God ! mentioning that you base your decision on Tom's Hardware article and not on an actual test on your system is the biggest mistake you could've made, especially since we're not so found of Tom's Hardware approach to the G400.

I don't know what would stop the guys from flaming you (maybe that you are new, let's hope).

Comment

Ups, sorry ! confused it with Thresh's Firing Squad, but they pretty much take the same road (we're less mad on Tom's than on Tresh's ).

Here's your answer on the AGP bus question

Can G400 handle 133MHz bus speed? (tomshardware)

[This message has been edited by andrei (edited 30 March 2000).]

Comment

There are never any garauntees when overclocking.
        But on the whole, G400 is consistantly one of the best at handling high FSBs.
        If you read through that thread that Nuno linked to, you will find everyone and their brothers disagreeing with the findings of that article at Tom's...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

It works for me..no wait sorry, mine's running at 98 not 89..but my bios settings are "WILD" not Tame whatever the hell that is ...Safe on my bf6 sets the agp at 1/1..which wont work at 147mhz ..but Tame I dont have that option ..Try it yourself or post a Question like how many of you guys cant run at 89 mhz..I dont know of anyone but Falsetto or whoever it was that wrote that review..
          Matt

------------------
          Abit BF6, P3 600E AT 882,vantec 5030 cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

AH!

The thread "Can G400 handle 133MHz bus speed? (tomshardware" (http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/008233.html) contains the answer.

The author of the article at Tom's site posted in the thread here (noted above). Basically he stated that he could NOT get his two G400s to work at ANY speed on his P3B-F. Thus the article at Tom's "Exploration into Overclocked AGP Graphics" is incompetent and should be ignored.

Comment

I have a funny feeling his board was misaligned in the AGP slot. Crashing is one thing. Not posting is another.

At AGP 1x, I had no problems running a G400 on a 133 MHz FSB. I think the reviewer's symptoms are so extreme, on a board known to run well in overclocked machines, I'd suspect the problem was elsewhere.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

"Crashing is one thing. Not posting is another."

Quite another.

For him to have included the G400 under these circumstances in the review as simply "failed"(to overclock) is out of the ball game disreputable. Such never occurred to me until I saw his confession in the other thread.

Comment

In my case, it is all true. I have a 7KXA with a G400 MAX and it will not overclock over 100Mhz FBS. It took me a week or so to get it to work at AGP4X. The good news is that locks or reboots when loading windows not before. Seem like a problem with the G400 drivers not the hardware.

Comment

It couldn't be something else in your system that won't run over 100fsb now could it, almost any card out there will do better than that

------------------
                    Abit BE6 with P3 500 @ 5*124=620
                    14.6 gb Maxtor ata66 and 128mb ram
                    G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210
                    Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
                    384k DSL and Realtek nic
                    Windows 98se with DX7a
                    3dMark2000 = 2956
                    Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                    128mb pc-100 cas 2
                    Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                    SB Live!
                    Winblows 98se & DX7
                    and 384k DSL!

Comment

Working...
                    X