Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You SURE PD5.25 won't work with the DVD Module? Haig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You SURE PD5.25 won't work with the DVD Module? Haig?

I'm running the latest "official" drivers for the Marvel G200-TV AGP (NTSC) (PD 5.25 & VT 1.51) in conjunction with The Matrox/Zoran v1.1 DVD module software. All I can say is it works.

My (Current) Primary system:
    Abit BE6 (MU BIOS)
    P3 450
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM (Non-ECC)
    Matrox Marvel G200-TV AGP (NTSC) v2.6 BIOS
    Adaptec 2940U2W v1.23 BIOS
    3Com 905B-TX NIC
    SBlive (W/ OD I/O Card, Liveware 3.0)
    Creative Modemblaster Data/Voice/Fax Modem
    ADS Cadet Radio Data AM/FM Card (8 Bit ISA)
    3x WD AC28400 EIDE HDDs (ATA66 Enabled)
    Creative DVD5241E EIDE 5x DVD-ROM
    Plextor 12x SCSI2 CD-ROM
    Panasonic LK-MW602 CD-R (SCSI2)
    M/S Windows 98SE (English)
    DirectX 7

My (Current) Secondary system (Scattered about the workbench)

Data General/ ALR 2650 Mobo (v6.004 BIOS)
    2x P2 266 (SMP)
    256 MB PC-100 SDRAM (ECC)
    2x Number9 Revolution 3D 8 MB PCI Adapters
    3Com 905B-TX NIC
    Onboard Adaptec 2940 U2W
    Onboard Intel 82558 NIC
    Onboard Cirrus Logic SVGA adapter (Disabled)
    Creative AWE64 Gold
    2x WD 9.1 GB Enterprise SCSI3 HDDs
    WD 4.5 GB Enterprise SCSI3 HDD
    Nakamichi MJ-5 CD-Changer SCSI2
    Window NT Server w/SP-5

------------------
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Hi,

Out of curiosity what is your region code? 2?

J

Comment

yeah but how many chances do you have left to change your region code?

Comment

Region Code 1

It says I have "0" more times to change the region code, but there "should" be two more opportunities to change it.

Aside from the DVD software not correctly detecting the Monitor Power management settings correctly (I always get those annoying popups, even if I check the "Don not show again") it works as it should, even with "The Matrix".

------------------
        Abit BE6 (MU BIOS)
        P3 450
        3Com 905B-TX NIC
        Plextor 12x SCSI2 CD-ROM
        DirectX 7

2x P2 266 (SMP)
        3Com 905B-TX NIC
        Onboard Adaptec 2940 U2W
        Onboard Intel 82558 NIC
        Creative AWE64 Gold
        Window NT Server w/SP-5
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Wait a minute! The you say that the Marvel G200 actually WORKS with both the DVD upgrade and the PD5.xx?

Are you sure about this? Are you sure that it isn't just software decodeing youre doing (It should run smooth on youre system, but it will take all youre CPU power)?

btw if it says 0 then it MEANS 0, with the DVD upgrade you only have a TOTAL of 3 changes.
          -+-+-+-+-+-
          El Mariachi
          +-+-+-+-+-+

Comment

Yes, I'm sure it is working. How so? I'm using the S/PDIF output from the Marvel BOB to my Dolby Digital Decoder, so I know the hardware module is functioning. I have never installed Zoran's software-only DVD player on my machine.

The Region Code thing bothers me...I have NEVER once changed it from Region 1, yet when moving the card from one motherboard to another, the number of times I had left would go down by one. To me, this is a bug.

The motherboards I have used were: Gigabyte GA-686BXE, Gigabyte BX-2000, and finally the Abit BE-6.

------------------
            Abit BE6 (MU BIOS)
            P3 450
            3Com 905B-TX NIC
            Plextor 12x SCSI2 CD-ROM
            DirectX 7

2x P2 266 (SMP)
            3Com 905B-TX NIC
            Onboard Adaptec 2940 U2W
            Onboard Intel 82558 NIC
            Creative AWE64 Gold
            Window NT Server w/SP-5

Comment

nope, you don'T have any more chances to change the region code... you just figured out the hard way why the module was not compatible with the 5.x drivers!! congratulation

Comment

Actually Zwisch, this problem first manifested itself with the 4.33 Drivers when I moved the G200 from the BXE to the BX-2000, I went down from two changes to one.

I'm not too concerned in any case. I think the whole issue of the region code (while a total load of crap in concept and execution) at least in the U.S., is rather moot.

No flame here, but if what Zwisch said is true (I honestly don't know, and right now don't even have an opinion, but for now let's assume he is right), then that opens up a whole new can of worms...

Product Liability. If Matrox knew that the 5.25 Drivers would do this to the DVD Hardware module, then why was it not mentioned in the documentation specifically? If they omitted or neglected to provide this information, and someone (like me) were to
                uninstall whatever older drivers there were, and then install the 5.25 drivers, and accidentally run the Zoran software already installed in the system, then would it not be Matrox' fault?

No place in the readme.txt file for the 5.25 drivers does it mention this problem. As a matter of fact the only thing mentioned on Matrox' website is that the Hardware DVD module will not work. Matrox also does not tell you to uninstall any DVD software or hardware anywhere.

There is a difference between saying that something doesn't work or is incompatible than to something potentially damaging to the value and utility of the product.

Comment

I also found that the module was affected by moving it to different systems during the days of 4.x series. Fortunately I ended up with my correct region locked in so I use Cinepak and DVD Region cracker for the odd overseas DVD I have. I found that if I didnt close every background program except Matrox's with Ctrl-Alt-Delete, the SOftDVD also got stuck in a loop during install. I feel like giving 5.25 a whirl if it and the new video tool will give me better frame rates for games etc and better vid editing than 4.33c and 1.5. Any idea if this is the case????

Comment

PD 5.25 gives much better DirectX performance in general. Video Editing I have no idea, haven't had the opportunity to try VT 1.51 yet. The Matrox PC-VCR seems to work a bit faster though, and the Quick connect program is a definite improvement for SBLive! owners.

Comment

Actually, what I said is only half the truth. With teh 5.x drivers, there is an issue that makes the software revert to a bad region code... as soon as you install it, then it goes to region code 2. You can, as you saw, get it to 1, but that does require a lot of changes and reboots that takes your region chances away. Final workd would be that the driver is not compatible, not that it simply removed the chances you have to change region code... this is simply a complication of this problem... The facts remain, Zoran is not yet compatible with the 5.x drivers and not supported by Matrox for several reasons. One is that if you try to get it to work and fail, you loose your chances to change the region code and hence to use the software... what is then left of this? replacing your card ?

So no matter the consequences or possible problems, Zoran will only work properly at this time with the 4.33 drivers.

But then again, these are all presumptions... I am just a simply guy making some personnal tests and making opinions from what he read in all forums on MURC...

Comment

and by the way... just to remind you that it is posted that these drivers do not support the DVD module and you do agree to a form before downloading the drivers about possible consequences....

Final word in there... if it works for you, great!!! but I would not recommend it to anyone out there.

Comment

If you made a copy of your original bios and reflash the card, the region option will be back to what it was when the backup was made.
                          I have done this several times to correct that glitch.
                          Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                          Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Hi MM,

I won't get involved in any legal issues but we do have the "Not compatable" disclaimer all of the driver section.

And if you look under the latest driver section, driver 4.33 is the only one available for the dvd module, not driver 5.xx.

With all these warnings, why would you still want to try it?

Haig

Comment

Zwisch, Haig: I'm not taking issue with what Matrox says in their disclaimer, however, if some poor bloke were to get "Just" the W9x_525.exe and run it, he/she would have no idea what they were getting into.

There is no documentation packaged with the driver giving any indication of a problem. THAT to me is a little spooky. Again, I'm personally not dissatisfied or upset, I just thought something smelled a little rotten.

Actually Haig, it really was tried quite by accident, and not by me (Honest!). The short version of the saga is: I ran the uninstaller, installed PD 5.25 and VT 1.21 without uninstalling the DVD module software or physically removing the decoder daughtercard. I figured heck, if I waited this long for a supported release, I can wait a little longer, right? My friend Josh came over and was killing time (And terrorists in Rogue Spear) on my machine while I was fighting with the blasted network settings on my secondary machine (a never-ending process with NT Server). He got bored, popped in "The Matrix" and pressed Play. Lo and Behold: It Worked! Intrigued, I switched the input on my receiver to coaxial, and ran it again: The DVD module gave me Dolby Digital output! Whoa, there really is no spoon!

This makes the second time I've found something like that out in such an accidental fashion. Reference Matrox Case ID#34770 with the ADS software conflict.

Thanks to the one who mentioned reflashing the BIOS with a backup. I was a good boy and did this with version 2.6. If ever I need to change it, maybe now I can in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X