G200 & AGP Miniport Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 & AGP Miniport Driver

Does anyone knows whether there are any conflict with G200 and the AGP Miniport driver for AMD 751 chipset?

Everytime I install the miniport driver, I will boot up with grabage screen if I left the PC off for a while. Then I can only press the reset button because the Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work at that point.

I confirm its the miniport and G200 driver because the problem comes only either I install the minport driver or the G200 driver. I have reformat the HDD and the only drivers I installed are the G200 driver and the minport driver.

My Configuration:
    CPU : Athlon 600
    M/B : Asus K7M
    RAM : 256MB PC100
    AGP : Millenium G200 8MB

Updating...... can anyone help? Basically, the problem only occurs if I use the AGP miniport driver for the AMD 751 northbridge chipset and my G200 5.XX driver. Can I don't install the AGP miniport driver? Will it gives me more trouble later?

Comment

I had almost the same problem. It turned out that the cause was the AMD miniport AGP driver which came on a CD with the moboard. I removed all AMD and VIA stuff in ControlPanel - Add/Remove Software, and rebooted. I checked that problem was still there. Then I downloaded the VIA 4in1 driver pack. I actually used the 4.17 rev from
      ftp://ftp.tomshardware.com/pub/4in1417.zip, because he claims it
      performs better than the current 4.2 rev, but both are available from VIA's site. I installed all four drivers including the AGP port driver viagart.dll, and voila, problem completely solved. I can run flight sim on autopilot for hours @ 80fps without crashes!

Probably the only driver you really need from the 4in1 pack is the AGP driver, but since everything is now perfect, I don't intend to
      experiment!

I am a little pissed over this, because the manual with my brand new asus mobo was not at all clear on what software should be installed, and in fact did not match with the contents of the CD in the box. The VIA 4in1 driver pack was not on the cd at all. From researching the internet it appears that many people have had the same problem, but only with matrox video cards, so it appears that the AMD AGP miniport driver does not work at all well with the matroxcard.

Indidentally, I could get my card to run by disbling bus mastering in the Options page of Advanced Display settings, but of course then performnace was pathetic, about half the fps.

I have also posted this on matrox newsgroup.

good luck, I hope this solves your problem too

rgds

g400man

Comment

Hi G400man, you mean you still get the 2X AGP performance by using the VIA AGP miniport instead of the AMD miniport for our K7M AMD chipset? Can you tell me how to remove the AMD AGP miniport driver? I can't find in Add/remove software?

Comment

This sounds a bit weird to me...

Using a VIA AGP driver with an AMD chipset. Not something I blindly would recommend.

What version of the miniport driver are you using, and is the problem only related with PowerDesk 5.xx or also with 4.xx.

I'm currently using a G200 Marvel (PD 4.51.008) with the AMD chipset (4.45, I think), and I have not experienced the problem you describe.

Ghydda
          As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
          My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
          |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

I,ve been discussing this problem also on the matrox newsgroup with this guy parknowya at:
            http://x31.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=603...89137&hitnum=6

Here is the gist of what paraknowya says:
            (he definitely seems to know what he's talking about, but as you see, my problem was definitely cured. And it seems many other people have problems with g400's on k7m's, to judge from the net. My g400 worked perfect on an Abit BH6 until I upgraded to Athlon!!??)

>> Forum: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox
            >>
            Thread: K7M & Athlon 550 with G400 - D3D Lockups

>> Message 7 of 8
            Subject:
            Re: K7M & Athlon 550 with G400 - D3D Lockups
            Date:
            03/29/2000
            Author:
            ParaKnowYa<ulf.eickmann@berlin.snafu.de>
            << previous in thread
             · 
            next in thread >>
            Hi,

yeah I'm the one behind the funny driver pack! Glad it works well for you I'm trying to improve them from release to release! =)
            Now concerning the AGP drivers, I do own a K7 system with a K7M and would like to first state that the AMD drivers work well here with no problems, I'm using the latest ones BTW.

The reason I think your PC runs "better" with the VIA drivers installed is that once you install another driver for AGP which however was not meant for your AGP port, Windows switches back to the standard AGP drivers which actually are a bit slower than the specialized drivers. Because the K7M is based on the AMD North Bridge 751 which is the AGP/ PCI and Memory controller and the Via South Bridge which is the peripherals controller (HD, com ports, ...) you've got to use the AMD AGP drivers to make sure you get all the performance there is from the chipset and graphics card!

BTW the KX-133 is Via so any K7 board with KX-133 chipset requires the Via drivers!

So you currently seem to run the AGP port with the Windows drivers which is slower than the AMD drivers except you're using a KX-133 board.
            To make sure you ARE running the AMD AGP driver, just d/l the newest version and install it again! If the game crashes reappear, let me know and please do also include detailed info about the system you are using!

best regards
            PKY

"Ivor Bigunn" <ivor_bigunn@my-deja.com> wrote in message
            news:8bsttd$mhl$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
            > hmmm, well I guess i'd better look into this a bit further!!
            >
            > You're the guy who mixes his own matrox driver cocktail are'nt you?
            > I've used your package very successfully, thank you.
            > My impression was that the K7M and VIA KX133 boards shared the same
            > south bridge, but maybe i'm wrong.
            > I reiterate however, that with the AMD drivers installed all my 3D
            > games crashed all the time, and that just removing them did not solve
            > the problem. And nor did win98 appear to load any new drivers. However
            > when I installed the VIA 4in1 package, all probs were solved at once. I
            > can enable AGP 2X, and also PCIList, SiSoft Sandra, 3D Mark 2000 etc do
            > not indicate any problems.
            >
            > Do you think its possible that the AMD driver was clashing with some
            > VIA driver, and that installing the old 4.17 rev of the other VIA
            > drivers removed this clash??
            >
            > All suggestions gratefully received! I am a bit reluctant to experiment
            > at the moment since everything is working, and I don't want to go back
            > to the old nightmare again.
            >  rgds
            >
            > IB
            >
            >
            > In article <8bqt8j$5ul$1@unlisys.unlisys.net>,
            > "ParaKnowYa" <ulf.eickmann@berlin.snafu.de> wrote:
            > > actually the K7M from Asus does have the AMD 751 installed and that's
            > the
            > > one for the aGP port so you need the AMD AGP droier or Win98 will use
            > the
            > > normal driver not giving the full performance, the VIA drivers do not
            > work.
            > > They show no error message but do not work.
            > >
            >

------------------

Comment

This problem only involve PD5.XX drivers (tries 5.05, 5.41 & 5.52). PD4.XX will have no problem (tried 4.33). The AMD AGP miniport driver can be of any version. I've tried 4.45, 4.50 & 4.61. But the OpenGL driver is much better in PD5.XX. Heard some G400 also have this problem. Was told it involve not able to go to AGP2X. When using WCPUID, it said my system is at AGP1X. When I use MGARegHack to force it to 2X, the system is very, very unstable. Freezing every now and then.

Comment

Working...
              X