AGP speed settings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP speed settings...

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own.
    SiSoft Sandra reports my AGP speed at 1x, I have never changed it on purpose. I thought the default was always 2x? How can I change it to 2x?

Specs:
    MSI 6163pro/rev2 (BX chipset)
    Matrox G400MAX (not overclocked)
    p3 600e(not overclocked, yet, trying to work some weird bugs out)
    128meg pc100
    win98

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I myself echo this post. I to am searching for a solution to this issue if anyone can help us. I have flashed the BIOS on the card, totally removed it and then reinstalled it with the latest drivers and searched for any options I cold possibly find. At a dead end.

My sysetm has a Epox EP-MVP3G2 with AMD K6-3 450. Any good accurate help would be very appreciated.
    Zahkar

Comment

Ok guys what OS are you using. Does your bios have a setting to turn agp 2x on and off and if so is it set to on? Also what drivers are you using as well.

------------------
      <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
      " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
      </A>
      <A HREF="http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
      " TARGET=_blank>http://jediphoenix.iscool.net/
      </A>

Comment

Like I said in the original post I am using win98.
        No, I could not find any settings in my bios to change it.
        I'm using the 5.52 drivers.

Comment

be sure to set agp to 2/3 or 1.5 in your bios depending what you have for a mobo
          then, use the force agp 2x in Registry Hacks
          jim

------------------
          Abit BE6 with P3 500 @ 5*124=620
          14.6 gb Maxtor ata66 and 128mb ram
          G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210
          Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
          384k DSL and Realtek nic
          Windows 98se with DX7a
          3dMark2000 = 2956
          Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
          128mb pc-100 cas 2
          Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
          Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
          SB Live!
          Winblows 98se & DX7
          and 384k DSL!

Comment

BigShroom, if and when you overclock that PIII 600E, at a certain point, you very well may want to go back to AGP 1x. Most video boards that can withstand high, off-spec bus speeds prefer are far more stable at AGP 1x. You'll find the performance gains from going from increasing your bus speed far greater than any benefits you'll get from AGP 2x.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will overclock it(p3). But I'm having some weird problems with it. Would rather not type them out but you can view them here if you would like: http://bbs.agn3d.com/messageview.cfm...threadid=27799

Thanks! I will probably just leave it at 1x then.

Comment

I am using win98 and the 5.52 drivers. I have gone into my BIOS and the ability to change from 1x to 2x is not there. Just read one of the posts in regards to a registry hack that I will look into but any good information to resolve this is appreciated.

------------------
                Zahkar
                Zahkar

Comment

To force AGP 2X, download the PD 5 registry hacks from the MURC utilities at http://www.murc.ws/Utils.html

Unzip, install the one named "forceagp2x.reg", and reboot for it to take effect.

Something in your system made it fall back to AGP 1X as a precautionary measure. This does not nec. mean that your system will not be stable at AGP 2X. You may expereince crashes, especially in 3D, with AGP 2X forced. If you do experience crashes, you will want to install the one named "forceagp1x.reg" to get your video system stable.

Comment

I am also having this problem. I'm on win98SE, with an Abit BE6-II. I've read several posts here listing similar problems, and many have suggested a poor fit on the Abit AGP connnector & the G400, causing the drivers to fall back to 1x. My old TNT1 could handle a 89Mhz AGP bus @ 2x, but the G400 wants to run 1x even with the AGP underclocked to 59Mhz. I have forced 2x, and it seems ok, but I do have some occasional lockups. Hard to know if the lock-ups are from the AGP, G400 in general, or even something else. I would feel much better about it if the card would go into 2x on it's own as opposed to having to be forced. My system will have a new processor soon, and the bus speed will be going up.

Comment

To Darin

Did you set the clock manually in the bios or not (i.e overclock).
                      if you do overclock, there's an option in your Bios to change the AGP to 1x or 2x.
                      In the Softmenu (at least with the two lattest BIOS)you'll find Agp transfer speed setting.
                      Set it to Fast for 2X or normal for 1X.
                      I found that with this board, when you overclock, the settings sometimes go automaticaly to Normal (1X), and if it does and you don't change it and boot up to windows, the g400 is now set to 1x, even if you get your CPU back to his default clock. You have to force AGP 2x with registry hack or to manually set the clock of the mobo and put AGP transfer to Fast.

Hope I'm not too confusing...

Martin
                      Athlon64 4800+
                      Asus A8N deluxe
                      2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                      eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                      X-Fi Fatality
                      HP w2207

Comment

If using win98, goto regedit and do a search on agpfallback if it is at agpfallback=0 it means no test run default to 1x, if it is at agpfallback=1 run test if pass 2x if not 1x

Comment

Working...
                        X