Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max overheating?

Hi!

I recently treated myself to a new machine with, among other things, an Abit BP6, two Celeron 366's and a G400 Max, naturally intending to overclock the beast.

However, before I attempted to overclock it, I though I'd make sure it worked properly, which it of course turned out not to, and so I turn to you guys for help. See, after about 15 minutes of Q3, my computer (running Win98) simply freezes. Hard. I've tried everything; upgraded all drivers, flashed the bios, AGP aperture size, the lot. To no avail. Finally, I noticed that the G400 chip felt a bit warm (but not when compared to my friend's GeForce), so I set up a table-fan to blow air into my computer, and the problem seemed to vanish. Preliminary conclusion: Something overheated. Remove the fan and the problem reappears, and this is with the G400 as the only card in the machine, and the CPU's are cooler than 45 degrees Celcius.

Does anybody have a good idea as to what might be wrong? (And what I can do to fix it?)

Putting my finger on my heatsink reveals that it is slightly warm, but not even close to hot. My old doodoo card ran very hot, way hotter than my G400. Does your fan work on your Max? Are you sure that the table fan is cooling your system or just coincidence. It seems like your max is running at normal temps. Do you have a thermal sensor cable with your Abit board (i do with my BE6-II), you could stick it your G400 heatsink to get a temp reading.

Also try posting your system specs, I realy doubt that your Max is overheating.

xippo

Comment

especially irqs
      jim

------------------
      Abit BE6 with P3 500 @ 5*124=620
      14.6 gb Maxtor ata66 and 128mb ram
      G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210
      Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
      384k DSL and Realtek nic
      Windows 98se with DX7a
      3dMark2000 = 2956
      Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
      128mb pc-100 cas 2
      Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
      Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
      SB Live!
      Winblows 98se & DX7
      and 384k DSL!

Comment

I very much doubt it's overheating too. Like I said, my friend's GeForce feels much warmer, and I was able to try a "plain" G400 in my computer and it felt just as warm as mine, but it didn't crash.

System specs: Abit BP6 with 2 Celeron 366's (it also crashes with just one), 128Mb PC100 RAM, G400Max at IRQ 10, which it doesn't share with anything. The BP6 board has two HPT366 controllers at IRQ 11 and a USB host at IRQ 9. Plus all the standard IRQ's (HD controllers at 14 and 15, printer at 7 and so on). I've tried moving the IRQ's around but this is how it is right now. Anything in particular you'd like to know?

Comment

I have a similar problem with both the win98 and win2k ICD's that any opengl game will hard lock within minutes of playing - I don't know if this is heat, I suspect an agp texturing problem, for example run at 640x480x16bpp and no prob, bumb it up to 800x600x32 (only got a 16Mb card) and wham - hard lock sometimes after 1min, sometimes 10 - very unpredictable! Using Turbo GL cures this problem completely - still can't play S O F though at high res!

I suspect the Abit motherboard to be part of the problem. (again)

Chris Thompson

[ABCW] Calorno

Abit BX6-2 MW bios
          Celeron @ 550
          Dual boot Win98 (not SE) 5.52/Win 2K 5.03
          128Mb
          G400 16Mb Single Head
          SBLive

Comment

Have you tried under-clocking your MAX? Maybe down to 125mhz core and 166mhz memory speed. Possibly the memory chips are getting too hot, if airflow in your case is obstructed in some way. This may help to isolate the problem to the G400 rather than anything else in your new machine.

Comment

stop multi posting
              128mb pc-100 cas 2
              Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
              SB Live!
              Winblows 98se & DX7
              and 384k DSL!

Comment

Sorry, but I think there's an echo in this thread...

Comment

Can you guys give us a list of your IRQ assignments and we can start there.

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Double posts happen to all of us once in a while. It's no big thing.
                    But if you do a triple, quad, etc. post (there was a 6x post in here), PLEASE take the time to clean up your mess. All you have to do is edit your post, and click the little "delete" checkbox in the upper left and submit...I just spent 15 minutes cleaning this thread up after you guys
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

this could be a really silly thought and that i have no idea what i'm talking about, but i thought win98 didn't support two processors. thought only nt & linux supported mutiprocessor environments.
                      Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
                      Win98SE 4.10.2222A, DX7a.

Comment

I apologise for the multi-post, the server was returning the an error.... I foolishly kept posting again and again a vain attept to get it working. Sorry.

Anyway on with the point in hand here is my IRQ list (the important ones anyway)

03 Win TV PCI
                        05 SB16 Emulation
                        07 SB Live Value
                        07 Diamond 56i Pro Modem
                        07 Intel USB Contoller
                        09 Matrox G400 16Mb
                        11 RTPI Ethernet Adapter

This configuration is the only one that I can get working. Because certain things will not share IRQ's ie G400, ethernet and wintv.
                        Both the winTV and IRQ 7 gathering a forced by the bios.

As I said an games for which I try and use the ICD (W98/2K) Kingpin/SOF/Quake3 will hard lock, still screenshot style sometimes with repeating sounds.... This problem has survived numerous formats driver updates etc, as I say I suspect the abit Mobo. Anyone know the reg. link to force AGP 1X....

Chris Thompson aka [ABCW] Calorno

Comment

Sorry for the multi posts Kruzin. I didn't know I could delete a post. Doh.

Does your system lock even when you aren't running games? How often?

Will the system still freeze if you remove all cards from the system except for the G400? Have you tried reseating the G400, memory chips, and processors. Have you tried just running on one processor? Does you power supply fan work, cpu fans? I'm just trying eliminate all other hardware factors so we can move onto software/configuration problems.

xippo

Comment

Sorry Kruzin, mine was on purpose to bust their balls
                            jim
                            128mb pc-100 cas 2
                            SB Live!
                            Winblows 98se & DX7
                            and 384k DSL!

Comment

:blue light, menacing voice: Quad Post For Four Fimes The Damage!

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X