Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Matrox ever integrate hardware DVD into the Gx00 cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Matrox ever integrate hardware DVD into the Gx00 cards?

I am wondering if Matrox will ever team up with Sigma Designs (REALmagic) and put the Hollywood+ chipset onto the main video card so-as to free up a PCI slot yet still get hardware-accelerated DVD decoding?

Thanks...

• Box 2:
    • operating system: FreeBSD 4.1
    • CPU: Intel Pentium 60
    • memory: 32 MB
    • hard drive: Quantum Fireball 1 GB

legalize

Doesn't the G400 have that already then? Not the Hollywood+ Chipset mind you, but the DVD hardware chip?

Read up onDVDMax

Jord.
    When I chose to go out
    I always leave the light on
    when I have to stay in,
    you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
    now that I'm living on my own,
    and while they've never been more right,
    can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

DVDMax
      Enables DVD and other video streams to be displayed full-screen out to TV, while leaving a fully accessible desktop on your primary display.

* Hardware subpicture blending and scaling for high-quality DVD playback
      * Full resolution and frame rates, with low CPU utilization
      * Similar to a hardware DVD solution
      ------------------
      SIMILAR != ACTUAL hardware dvd solution. I mean, I want to be able to use the builtin DVD player that is included in Windows 2000! That is true hardware DVD if you can do that, since the Win2k dvd player requires a hardware accelerated dvd card!

• Box 2:
      • operating system: FreeBSD 4.1
      • CPU: Intel Pentium 60
      • memory: 32 MB
      • hard drive: Quantum Fireball 1 GB

legalize

Comment

Mr. Cold,

Why don't you take a hike until you go and apologize in that crappy little thread you started for all of the profanity.

Rags

Comment

Jord:

G-400 is HW assisted, not true hardware-still eats up massive CPU resources. One of the most unfortunate developments in PC's recently has been the shift to software decoders...which work, but tax even the fastest of the current processors. The RIGHT way to do this is in hardware, and the PCI (hollywood, et al) add-on isn't ideal either since it requires a pass-through cable with resulting noise/interference.

The real shame is that Matrox got burned so bad in the Zoran/MGI debacle that they're not inclined to take this approach again, which is a shame. I could play crystal clear DVD movies on my old k62 333 and tied up only 10% of my CPU.

Anyone wanna tell me what ELSE they can do on their g-400 while playing a DVD??? Certainly not a game of Q3 or burn a CD I'm sure.

If the damn thing wasn't so code bugged (fixable, dammit!!) it would be a kick ass solution.

Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Ah a BBQ... Where's Pauly when you need him?? And sorry Matt, I wonder where my mind was when I wrote the past answer...

He's still as antisocial as he can be...

Jord.
            When I chose to go out
            I always leave the light on
            when I have to stay in,
            you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
            now that I'm living on my own,
            and while they've never been more right,
            can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

Bixler,

I am on the internet right now, my daughter is watching a DVD (don't ask!), and I am burning a CD. The Matrox DVD player uses only about 30% CPU time, and I haven't noticed any dropped frames, and I am on my 3rd CD, no coasters yet.

Rags

Comment

I once played Quake3 while whatching a DVD! It was actually very playable...

------------------
                Celeron 366@567 2.2V, 128meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Hey Rags:

I hate to have a real, instructive discussion on this thread...and I'm very interested in what you just posted.

Whatcha got???

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 26 March 2000).]
                  Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                  Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Maniac

I'd guess that 567Mhz is is pretty strong by the standards of the total installed base of processors out there. My old k62 333 couldn't have done it...especially with a g200.

I know that processor power will solve the problem with current hardware, but there are a LOT of folks with g-200's who'd put out another $80 US to stay with what they've got and enjoy DVD's.

Tim, Behind the technology curve again

edit
                    --------------------------
                    But decoding of DVD's in hardware is still a correct and defensible concept, and one that should be available as an option for a lot of good, sound, technical reasons...Matrox is the only Vid card Co. that has attempted it... and they got screwed through no real fault of their own, and the concept (and many loyal Matrox customers) are getting hurt in the process.

ugly...really ugly!

The fact is, there is a product available for sale at the online store that has been abandoned...by whom isn't the real issue...Our guys are selling it. It is time for full disclosure. Bill Clinton be damned, it is still better to share all the ugly facts with your customers rather than be accused of stonewalling...no matter what good and prudent reasons there may be for not airing all our dirty laundry.

Downside is worse that the upside here. Right now all you have is a full installed base of unhappy abandoned customers who bought in good faith that they'd be able to count on normal driver updates and bug fixes. Tell all, and you'll get a few whiners and a few unneccesary RMA's, but I for one would be back forever with a mfr. who told the full story and then backed up the name brand on the product.

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 26 March 2000).]

Comment

What I'd like to see is Motion Compensation in the next-gen (G800) Matrox chips. This is a fairly efficient form of hardware acceleration (used by the ATI cards and GeForce) and it looks pretty damned good and cuts cpu usage by about half.

Comment

Working...
                      X