photoshop 5.5 and pIII600 freeze fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photoshop 5.5 and pIII600 freeze fix

Finally, after many sleepless nights the solution has landed in my lap. Searching the high and lows of many tech forums i have found a fix for the freezes i recieve with my new pIII600 system, Aopen AX6BC motherboard with the matrox dual head and etc

By removing the fastcore and mmxcore plugins in photoshop the program seems to work fine( i hope its just not playing with my emotions).

My question is why would this affect it and also is there any way of getting these enabled without the crashes?

how much does removing these plugins affect the performance of this app?

Glad to hear it's working finally. I'm still using version 5.0 so didn't have the problems that V 5.5 is causing. Maybe some of our other experts can explain why the plugins were causing the lockups.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hi agi, were you able to get your G400 on it's own IRQ?? I remember you saying on the Matrox Tech Server that it was sharing an IRQ with the Mass Storage Controller.

If you can give us a list of IRQ assignments and what slots your PCI cards are in. I still think you have a bit of a hardware conflict going on in your system.

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 26 March 2000).]
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

i have managed to get it going on its own irq
        at 10. I have been running photoshop 5 now for about 1 and 1/2 seems okay.

I took out the floppy that was above the harddrive so i thought that might cool it down. I have 5 pci slots:

the 2nd has a scsi card
        the 4th sounb blaster live card

also i have just realised that one of that my dvd drive has the same ID as the zip drive.

Also do the matrox cards overheat at all? the scsi cable barely touches the card on the top.

Does photoshop 5 and 5.5 have different mmxcore and fastcore plugins? so far everything okay on photoshop 5, i has only died twice.

Comment

Agi,

You have a MAJOR hardware problem!

Photoshop (in fact ANYTHING 2D) should NEVER EVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES lock up. The fact that it locks up MORE with MMXCORE installed just means that your CPU is overheating faster because of the MMX extensions - which leads me to believe that perhaps you have a heat problem.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I think i will give the onsite warranty people a call tomorrow to come out and have a look at this damn thing.

I think the motherboard my be shit. Any ideas on a good one? ive tried changing the ram and nothings changed. I do have 3 cd-roms running? could that be a cause with power?

Comment

Also just reading through, what are the miniport drivers?

Comment

This has been a nasty problem for many BX mobo owners. You can go to Adobe and Dell web sites and research their forums for details. Basically, there is a flaw in some of the P3 BX mobo design that will crash when memory operations are pushed (e.g. by Photoshop's Fastcore and MMXCore routines). They are most pronounced in ASUS mobo and Dell computers (may be Dell uses ASUS mobo as well??). No fix yet. Dell said they would fix it since 9 months ago and it is still not fixed. Asus won't comment.

Comment

If you're concerned about heat, you might think about getting a small heat alarm. The one I bought makes an incredibly annoying sound that makes me turn off my puter immediately.
                  http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...indexalarm.htm

Comment

Damn thing again begins to crash?...I even installed photoshop 5 and it worked for about 2-3 hours and then it crashed?

i though maybe it was because the harddrive got hot, but i dont know...

All my irqs are fine and i have the latest download of the matrox g400 drivers.

What else could it be?

Comment

To many hassles they are sending me out a new motherboard at the moment with has via chipset i think, it's the Aopen AX63 pro, has anyone heard of it or dealed with it before?

Comment

Working...
                      X