killer machine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• killer machine question

how good is the G400's OpenGL (3D studio max) performance?

we will be needing to piece together a moderately killer machine at work (web firm) for video work and 3d at the same time. (and multimonitor if that is doable--i know the marvel g400, the second output can only be a video signal which is disappointing)

a quote on the rt2000 is $2050 canadian, sheesh. and while i think it's overkill for the buck right now, as there are no projects on our plate right now that make extensive use of 3d OR video. but we are buckling down and purchasing max and character studio...fortunately the boss is willing to buy higher end for a project if that will pay for it, and we don't go nickel-and-diming in terms of piece-meal solutions/technology.

if the g400 isn't up to snuff 3dwise...($2000 is an awful lot too) can someone suggest another good dv/analog video solution? (PLEASE i don't want to use the G4 and final cut pro @_@!)

hmm...i was thinking nvidia quadro ($800-900US?) and a miro card of some kind then...

any ideas? help is appreciated...thanks.

(will dualhead work in this case, for multimonitor, win98-style? multiple windows for director, max, premiere?) ...we will be using NT4.0 or 2000.

[This message has been edited by rei (edited 22 March 2000).]
    ==
    "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

The Quadro is a great card especially due to the fact that it benefits from nVidia's OpenGL drivers, which are by far the best as long as we keep with the consumer market. I'd try the Elsa. But that does not solve the money problem really, since if you add a capable Miro/Pinnacle DV solution you'll still have to spend a lot of money. If 3DStudio Max and web design is your problem go for a Permedia3 (or better Oxygen VX1) which is somewhere between USD200-300 and excellent for this purpose; add a capable Pinnacle board like the miroVIDEO DV200 or better.
    Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

Forgot to tell you that the VX1 adds has multi-monitor capability (with a second board, which you can buy later).

Comment

I have to agree with Livius. If you're going to be doing professional 3D, there is absolutely no argument ANYONE can suggest (that has any merit) that will dissuade me from 3D Labs. They practically invented 3D acceleration, and have perfected it in the business world. Get an Oxygen. You can start at around $200 (for a VX1 that compares to a Permedia3, which is still faster in professional apps than anything nVidia or Matrox have to offer), and go up from there depending on the features you want. Then get a nice solid dedicated video board.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

As good as the RT2000 is (and it is really good), there is one major letdown:

there are actually only drivers for Win98 ... so there's no go under NT ...
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

aiyee, no real DH support in 2k either?!
            ==
            "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

in direct3d the g400 works not bad at all with 3dsmax, but in opengl-mode it's a bit slower.
              but i'm not a professional user of 3dsmax

------------------
              \\ Surfwienix //
              (German)

My System:

AMD K6-2/400 non-o/c
              Epox MVP3C-M Super7 (VIA 4.20 + AGP v4.0)
              128MB SDRAM(PC100)
              G400 MAX (PD 5.52 + TGL 1.3 + DX 7a) AGP2x non-o/c
              Terratec DMX Sound-System
              6,4GB Maxtor HDD (UDMA33)
              ASUS 50x-CDROM (UDMA33)
              Realtek 8019 Ethernet (ISA)
              19" Monitor CTX-VL950T (95khz)
              Windows 98SE

my system:

AMD XP 2000+
              Abit KTA7 (VIA 4.49)
              512MB SDRAM133
              Matrox Millennium G400 MAX (5.91, AGP 2x)
              Windows XP Prof

Comment

3DLabs also offers W2K support for their VX1 cards. The driver seems to work well with 3DSMax according to the driver readme, but I don't know about other apps.
                You'll also get great support and great 2D image quality, probably the best wit the exception of Matrox.

Comment

3DLabs also offers W2K support for their VX1 cards. The driver seems to work well with 3DSMax according to the driver readme, but I don't know about other apps.
                  You'll also get great support and great 2D image quality, probably the best wit the exception of Matrox.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X