multiple G400's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple G400's

Has anyone tried installing multiple G400's in the one PC (apparently you can install as many cards as you have slots)? If so, can you share your experiences.

Rgds - J

Umm, which motherboard has more than one AGP slot?

Comment

That's right. Nobody has dared implement AGP with >1 video card. They'd be nuts to try.

So, 1 G400 it is!
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

A friend of mine has an intel BX Motherboard (dual processor) and thus has two agp slots (i know its because its a dual processor motherboard), but i don't know how well it would work...
        Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
        WinXP Professional SP1
        Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
        3COM 905C

Comment

If your friend told you that, he's either BSing you, or doesn't know what he's talking about. Dual processor does not mean dual AGP. Such a motherboard doesn't exit. If it does, have him give you a web link to it, because I'm sure a lot of people here would like to see that...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

AGP is a graphics PORT. It is NOT A BUS. That's it. One port per chipset. Thank you for playing, have a nice day, don't come back until you can provide PROOF that Intel changed the specification.

Here's my PROOF that there's only ONE active AGP card per chipset:
            ftp://download.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/ecr41.pdf

And here, read the AGP spec yourself:

ftp://download.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/agp20.pdf

Page 20 of the spec is the diagram. You'll notice that there is NO BUS going to the AGP device, just a straight line, while the PCI bus is delineated as such.

I get tired of people saying, "I want two AGP slots." It isn't possible at this time, not in one computer. If it was, believe me, I'd have it already.

And before you fire back that you have two CPUs, let me just remind you that the 440BX chipset supports TWO CPUs per chipset. If there were two chipsets on one board, you'd have two discrete computers on one board, not one computer with two AGP slots.

It's one AGP card to one chipset. Not two. Not until Intel changes the spec.

[This message has been edited by IceStorm (edited 21 March 2000).]
            The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
            The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
            The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Can the BX handle dual CPU's? I thought you needed a GX for that.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I think that your friend is confusing the AMR slot with AGP

Comment

2xAGP means that it can transfer at double the default AGP speed, not that there are two slots

Comment

Yes, the 440BX is SMP-capable.

ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/designex/BXDPDG10.PDF

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                    The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                    The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

I wish that my dual board had 2 agp slots, but it doesn't
                      So either your friend is bsing you, or he is mistaken

Comment

Ive seen Dual BX chipset boards.... wouldnt this be capable of dual AGP? Not that i can back this up with anything... i just vaglly remeber seeing a server board for 4 cpu with dual bx chips...

Is dual bx chipsets possiable eveN?
                        it might have just been a GX board and im losing my mind...

But basiclly for our purposes there are NO dual agp boards.....

------------------
                        PIII 450 @ 504
                        generic BX motherboard
                        G400 MAX : )
                        GlobalWin VOS32!
                        Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
                        Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
                        Creative 36x CD-ROM
                        96 megs PC100 RAM
                        128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
                        NetGear 10/100
                        Soundblaster 32 AWE
                        Diamond SupraExpress 56k
                        Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
                        1 92mm Sunon Fan
                        4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

The only motherboard capable of Dual AGP is a motherboard with the Micron Samurai chipset... it has 2(!) Nothbridges, so it has 2 AGP slots and 2x 4 PCI slot I think; Each processor has it own PCI bus....

I've seen pictures of this board, but I think it was not yet in production. So I don't beleive that your friend had one in his PC.. even if they were in production, it is very unlikely he has the money to buy this MoFo MoBO

Comment

Actually you can have hundreds of AGP masters provided you have an AGP target for each and every one of them.

(Samurai has 2 of both, but as with everything else from Micron it looks to be just a PR vechicle to show off their memory technologies.)

You can even have multiple AGP masters with only one AGP target, but in which case only one AGP master can be active (e.g., a m/b with onboard AGP VGA + an AGP slot).

Comment

Wombat...

The most obvious example of BX chipset being able to deal with two CPU's is Abit's BP6 MoBo...

Comment

Working...
                              X