DualHead Win2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DualHead Win2000

A colleague at work has just bought an OEM G400DH and was running 2 monitors at different resolutions in Win98 - lovely. After migrating to Win2000 he found that the DH just treated it like a virtual desktop stretching the display accross the two monitors.
    I've searched through the Forums and there seems to be some debate about whether this is a Win2000 or a Matrox driver problem. Which is it and is there a likely to be a fix scheduled by Matrox or is it simply a matter of waiting for Win2000 SP1 ?

Thanks.
    Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...

It is a 'limitation' of Win2k. It works just like Win98 if you have two seperate graphics cards, but sees the G400DH as just one. Microsoft *may* 'fix' this with Service Pack 1.

Comment

What's the difference between "streching" and "real support"? I don't have DH so I'm just curious..
      But I doubt that Microsoft will release any fixes for this as I recall that Win NT didn't have such support either.

_
      B

Comment

Personally, I'm quite upset at this issue. I purchased my G400 Max under the assumption that Matrox was able to sustain its claim for "Full DualHead Support" under Win2k upon it's release, as oppose to their "Limited DualHead Support" under Windows NT
        (see http://www.matrox.com/mga/press_room...0_brochure.pdf page 4)

Before this, I had two seperate video cards for DualHead. They were begining to show their age, so I thought I'ld go ahead and get a good performing, integrated solution. I can honestly say that I would NOT have purchased this card if I had known of the possibility of this issue, and its irresponsibly for Matrox to make such blatantly false claims.

(a ranting) C=64

Comment

How dare you ever say matrox makes blatantly false claims! hmm, where are those opengl drivers for my g200.
          Asus K7V
          Athlon 700
          128mb PC133 HSDRAM
          Matrox Millennium g400max
          Adaptec 2940U2W
          IBM 9gb U2W
          Plextor 8/20 cdr
          Diamond MX300
          3com 905b-tx

Comment

LOL

C=64

Comment

Buuri,

the difference between stretching and "real support" is that with the latter each monitor has its own properties and can be set to different resoloutions etc. in win2k it is just one big monitor...for example, i have a 21" on the primary @1280 x 1024 16 bit and a 17" flat panel display on the secondary @1280 x 1024 16 bit...what i get is a desktop that's 2560 x 1024 16 bit.

i've removed win98 and am totally using win2k now for 3 weeks and have really gotten used to the win2k scheme, and it isn't that bad. in win98 i couldn't get streaming media to work on the "second" monitor. i could drop a real player video clip on the second monitor and the video would stop but the sound would continue. in win2k it is just another "area" of the monitor, same goes for powerDVD.

i like it so much that i hope matrox makes it a user option to choose which scheme to use.

chucky

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100, 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Intellimouse Explorer

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI 10/100 Mbps controller, and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Samsung 17" Flat Panel Display(.264mm pitch) model 770TFT.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

Comment

oops...posted twice!

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 22 March 2000).]

Comment

One of my customers has a 21" tube and a 15" flat panel thing. Now neither NT nor W2K can handle different resolutions on these monitors. There should be a better solution for CAD users these days than going back to 98. This is driving me nuts already.

Alegria

------------------
                  The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
                  Bob Dylan

The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
                  Bob Dylan

Comment

Alegria,

i had that same combo, and the max vertical resoloution was 768 on the 15" fpd. thats why i sprung for the samsung 17", its' max vert. res is 1024...now i have 2560 x 1024...i love it!

chucky

Comment

Working...
                    X