Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Matrox DVD Max software send unencoded ac-3 out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Matrox DVD Max software send unencoded ac-3 out?

Hi,

I just bought the Matrox Millennium G400 Max Dual Head. I was playing around with it last night and I was watching some DVDs on my TV using the DVD software that came bundled with the card. The problem I was having was that AC-3(Dolby Digital) wasn't being sent out through my Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500 sound card. I have a coax cable connected from the S/PDIF on the sound card to my stand-along receiver/dolby digital decoder (Sony STR-835).

I think the DVD software is decoding the sound and sending it out as PCM. I don't want that, I want to decode the sound with my receiver. Anybody know how to get that to work? Some have suggested PowerDVD or WinDVD, but then I wonder if my dual head will work.

Thanks

nope.. the Matrox G400 player will not output an AC3 or DTS signal. Youll want to try PowerDVD 2.55 or WinDVD 2000. Both of which provide AC3 and DTS pass-thru.

And, yes, the dual-head DVD Max feature wil work.

Also, next time, use the SEARCH function.
    Abit BX6 Rev.1
    Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
    192 meg RAM, CAS2
    13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
    6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
    HP8110i 4x2x24
    Pioneer DVD-104
    SB Live! 1024
    USB ZIP 100
    G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
    Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
    YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Will upgrading to a newer Cinemaster engine fix this problem - I am running 2.035 engine with the Matrox shipped frontend.

Comment

Hey CrazyBee,

thanks for your answer

too bad you don't understand how to be polite

if you didn't want to waste your time typing an answer or were bothered about seeing my post, just let some other person take care of it and move on

you don't need to instruct me to use the search engine as if you are the king around here. just because this forum, like many others out there, uses an inane method of determining who is a rookie and who isn't doesn't mean that I don't know to search. next time I recommend you learn how to be polite about suggesting to someone to use search

thanks for the lesson though teach

and how about a lesson for you? maybe you don't know, but when you use all caps it hurts my ears

Comment

adamhamilton..

nope.. upgrading the engine wont do anything.. i have tried multiple times with Cinemaster and they all only support stereo out. Maybe someone else has gotten it to work, but, I dunno yet. I asked a similar question awhile back and no one responded.

WinDVD 2000 doesnt have macrovision on the DVDMax feature to the TV.. and.. it has an awesome picture. PowerDVD 2.55 is good too, but, macrovision. Ugh. Both support DD/DTA pass-thru so I would suggest both of those.

CB
          Abit BX6 Rev.1
          Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
          192 meg RAM, CAS2
          13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
          6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
          HP8110i 4x2x24
          Pioneer DVD-104
          SB Live! 1024
          USB ZIP 100
          G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
          Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
          YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Alot of the features with Matrox DVD player are hidden, you need to use a program similar to DVD Genie to unlock them.
            Also it is a good idea to upgrade to the new Cinemaster Engine.
            Your sound card doesn't decode the AC3 signal only provides a pass-through.

Comment

I have used the Matrox DVD Player with my Soundblaster Live Player 1024 and it can send ac-3 out to my Dolby Digital decoder. Download the latest DVD Genie at www.inmatrix.com . Go to the Cinemaster tab and click on More options. In the new window make sure that Enable SP/DIF is checked. There is also a drop down box with the label AC3 SP/DIF Out Mode. Make sure 'SB Live! / DS-XG Wave / Crystal SoundFusion(tm)' is chosen in the drop down box. This is for my SB Live. With your SQ2500 you will have to try the Aureal Vortex option.

That is my configuration and it works for sending unencoded ac-3 out of the soundcard with Matrox DVD Player. The cinemaster engine is 1.0.29.5356. I think it has been updated once so it is not the default engine.

Skyflyer

Comment

Eureka!! - yes, it works .I have signal..but what other settings do I use???
                What are yours?? I have same SB Live Matrox 400G Max (see signature below)

Note: See my similar post on this forum ---

------------------
                AMD K6 III 450 at 500, Asus P5a, 400g Max, RR, 128meg sdram, Pioneer 10x DVD 104s(no soda holder), Creative DVD dr3, 18g ultra66, 6.4g ultra33, Atapi Zip & PP 100, SB Live Platinum, and Cambridge Theatre 5.1, DTT2500 Digital
                AMD1200, A7V. 400g Max, RR, 512mg sdram, Pioneer 10x DVD 104s(no soda holder), Creative DVD dr3, 18g ultra66, 6.4g ultra33, Atapi Zip & PP 100, SB Live Platinum, Cambridge Theatre 5.1, DTT2500 Digital, USB Broadband Blaster, Windows XPsp1

Comment

Ok,

I downloaded DVD Genie from http://www.inmatrix.com/ and I used that to enable S/PDIF out with my Matrox DVD player. That worked! Now I have undecoded AC-3 going out through my Aureal SQ2500 coax out to my Sony STR-DE835 DVD in and I am receiving a dolby digital signal. Perfect!

Thanks for your people

jt

Comment

Working...
                  X