No announcement yet.

Anyone tried the new bump mapping demo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried the new bump mapping demo?

And has anyone noticed that the fire/smoke demo doesn't do any fire or smoke under Win2k?

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

i havent tried that demo, but i have multimonitors and the multinut demo didnt work in win2k...brought it into win 98SE it worked fine...most of the demos that wont work for me are caused it seems by multimonitor setup in win2k. Ok OK i havent tried many demos in win2k, ive tried lens (fine) rain(i think fine) bump water(fine when dual head disabled) and thats about all ive tried in win2k

Frankfurt
    Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
    WinXP Professional SP1
    Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
    3COM 905C

Comment

I noticed that too, GD. I was going to post the same question, but you beat me to it. It sure seems like it must be using a combo of bumpmapping and polygons, for the ripples to actually affect the water's edge on the box.

Can any of you other guys state for sure how this is working?

------------------
      Ace
      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

You mean bumpwater? Go into prefs and disable bumpmapping... now you see the polygonal waves. It's especially pronounced when you use the DOWN ARROW to move the camera to the ground, the drag the light into the water and let it go.

Of course, if you read the readme.txt:

=start chop=
        - The surface of the water is generated solving a two dimensional linear wave equation discretely.
        - The water effects (reflective distortion and refraction) are rendered using DirectX Environment-Mapped Bump Mapping.
        =end chop=

... then you would have known. But it's entitled readme.txt, so you couldn't obviously be bothered to read it.

Take it easy...
        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I tried the water EMBM demo yesterday and I was suitably impressed by the realism. I was dragging the mouse around on the surface half expecting to be able to generate an ever heightening surf. I also liked the realistic movement of the swinging light and flexible arm ... good physics, very nice work.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 18 March 2000).]
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yeah, I noticed the flames were missing on W2k too. Weird, these demos include source code so they are intended for developers - I guess it means that Matrox is stills thinks D3D developers work only 9X.

It sends a pretty sad message when even the driver developers can't release demonstration source that runs correctly on W2k.

Paul

Comment

Anyone tried the new bump mapping demo?

I run it some minutes ago and noticed that the bumps go all the way to the edges of the box. EMBM is supposed to produce bumps only on the surface not at the sides of the objects. Is this a mixture of EMBM and polygons?

------------------
              PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

Paul,

Sorry there guy, but Matrox didn't make those demos, an independent developer did. He did one for EMBM, and one for T&L. Matrox is just linking it.

Rags

Comment

Sorry Matrox, I should have paid closer attention

Wonder if it is a fault in the code or a problem with the drivers?

Paul

Comment

Hey GD, it sounds like you are discribing embossing.

If you want to see the edge of the water:

Adjust the camera to an angle about 10-20 deg above parallel with water line.
                    Now Ctrl+P or expand View and toggle Frame of pool.

Now have some fun !

Click on the corners of the water, or drag the pole down until the light dives into the water!

This is awsome

------------------
                    "Hi, my name is Gary and I'm an OC addict"

"If your still stock,... ya' best stay on the porch"

Comment

Sorry GD, I stand corrected. I just purchased a great book this weekend at Barnes and Nobles. It’s titled Real-Time Rendering by Tomas Moller and Eric Haines.

In this book they explain EMBM as the same as mirror mapping so there must not be as much difference but for the lighting. I just started reading it, very tech (math) .

------------------

Comment

Thanks for the info, impact. And you're right, I didn't read the readme file, which isn't normal for me.

Then again, I've been pretty busy lately, and to let something like that slip by isn't a big deal. But you wouldn't know about that, would you?

------------------
                        Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 21 March 2000).]
                        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                        Gainward Ti4600
                        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Mistakes happen...
                          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                          X