Major problem, 99% sure that its my g400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major problem, 99% sure that its my g400

What the problem is is that images flicker HORIBLY on the screen, even at 85 and 90 hz, they tilt, shift, move around, and blink on and of even in my bios startup screen.
    EVERYTHING white flickers, infact it is very hard to post this message because of this.
    Every time i try to flash the bios it says "bad checksum" (yes, i have re downloaded the program)
    i am not overclocking the g400 nor am i running it on a non standard AGP bus speed.
    the card itself is on irq 10 with nothing else shareing it (acpi is enabled btw).
    This is on a bp6 w/ dual celery 400's and a compaq 171fs.
    No, it is not the monitor as i have tested it on another machine and it does not shift or flicker.
    I really think this is my g400.
    Any imput would be great

The easiest way to see if its your G400 is to try another video card and see if it also has the same problem. If you have an old card lying around, try it. Which bios upgrade are you refering to - your motherboard or your G400?

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

g400 bios.
      just tried the rescue disk, it errors out saying bios checksum error too.

Comment

Scout, are you using the rescue disk on a reboot to the disk, or are you running it under windows?

Comment

Boot from disk.
          I also tried useing the regular flash utilities
          both say bad checksum

Comment

It sounds like your pins may be messed up.
            If you post your cards id (model,serial#,etc.)Perhaps someone could post or send you a copy of their pins and you could re-program your card.Perhaps Matrox has them?
            gbm,where are you?
            Check Matrox files for help in pins.
            I only saw info for g200's there,but hopfully the procedure is the same.
            Is the card still under warranty?
            http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm/matrox/

Comment

Yes, it is still under warenty, less than a year old.
              Modle number: G4+MMDHA32GR

Comment

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

Funny you ask, the same thing happened to me. The image was flickering on bootup, in bios setup and even in windows. The effect was less noticeable with higher refresh rates, but was still there.

I've tried lots of things to fix it (including monitor degaussing, shifting and pushing the card, pluging and re-pluging the monitor...), but to no avail.

To sum it up, in the end I thought the card was defective and needed replacement when my brother unplugged a Bionaire air conditioner (basically a table top fan) that was situated about 20cm from my case and the problem went away. Interference! Check for any possible electronic devices that could cause it, try moving monitor and speakers around (you have magnetically shielded speakers, right?) and such.
                  Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                  X