Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400 w2k IRQ problems

Hi.

I remember that there were problems with IRQ under w2k and g400.
    My problme is that all my peripherial cards are on IRQ 9.
    I have asus p3b-f (6 PCI slots) G400, SB live, 3com905b NIC= and they all share the same IRQ.
    How it is? I have few IRQs free: 2, 5, 10,11,
    Is that a problem and what should I do to reassing thos IRQ, or maybe they should stay all together on IRQ 9.
    Asus p3b-f p3 600E 512mb ram pc100 G400 sh 16mb sb live x-gamer ibm hd 20gb 7200rpm ide 3com 56.6 modem 3com 905b nic asus 50x plextor 4832 cdrw ide viewsonic gt775 hp dj720 hp sj 4100c Win 2000 pro

That's just a feature of ACPI. If all your cards are working, you shouldn't worry. However, you can disable ACPI if it bothers you.

If you're interested, you can read more about it straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000.../plugnplay.asp

Check out the <u>The Evolution of Plug and Play</u> section in particular.

Hope this helps.
    --QS

Comment

I had the IRQ problem come up when I tried to run DVD in Multi-Display mode in Win2k and WinNT 4 srvpk 6a. I easily fixed the IRq sharing prob within my bios. I set "assign IRQ to VGA" and assiigned some IRQs to the pci slots manually. All within the bios. I have the G400 32MB Max DH. Abit BH6.
      Win2k Final Build (which is also retail version) 2195.
      Abit BP6 Dual Celeron 366@550
      256MB PC-100 RAM
      G400 32mb MAX DH Mode
      Voodoo2 with hacked win2k drivers
      Hollwood + dvd decoder
      20.5 GB IBM HD Win2K Pro Swap Drive
      9.1 GB IBM Hd Win2K Adv. Server Swap Drive
      10.0 GB IBM HD Win98SE Swap Drive
      20.5 GB IBM Internal Seconday Drive for file storage.
      Toshiba SR-8485 6X DVD-Rom
      HP 7200i CD-RW
      SBLive! Platinum.
      Netgear 310TX 10/100
      Ethernet card
      Cable Modem connection. (I hated the DSL 384k dl. I hit 350k average day when everone is on, and 625 at night EVERY day with cable modem! Slowest I've gotten on very busy time is 160K.)

Comment

I just love it when people insist on replying to this problem with irrelevant information. Grr...

IT'S POLLING. IT'S A FEATURE, NOT A BUG!

(Now where have we heard THAT before, eh?)

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

free beer on irq 9 anybody!!!

chucky

Comment

Gurm, IT'S NOT POLLING! The interrupts you see being shared are only ISA reservations. These cards are using the 255 (I think) interrupts that PCI 2.1 compliant systems have available to PCI slots.

Paul

Comment

Umm... ok? So if it's 255 virtual PCI IRQ's, that don't really interrupt the CPU from what it's doing, that makes it... virtual hardware polling! Which is the same as software polling, only FASTER! Woohoo!

Hehe.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Das ;phunny (hic) says DentyCracker (under the influence of more than a little liquor)
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Someone put up the following quote on one of the Windows 2000 newsgroups.

pp 253 - 254 Windows 2000 Pro Resource Kit says:

"When you have used all your IRQ's, you can share them... It is possible to
                  share available IRQs, on ACPI systems, all PCI devices can share IRQ 9 by
                  default. Most of the problems created by sharing IRQs are related to
                  bandwidth. To share IRQs, the system places these IRQs on a stack and manages
                  them in first in, first out (FIFO) fashion. The more sharing, the longer it
                  takes to traverse the stack and the more opportunity for time-outs and other
                  problems."

This is in contrast to other MS documentation that indicates there should be no performance penalty associated with ACPI.

The issue may still be bad drivers that are trying to do more than simply clear the interrupt in the handler, and so holding up other devices. In a non-acpi system these bad drivers would only cause problems with devices that have a lower priority, with ACPI they can affect everything.

Paul.

Comment

Sorry for bein ignorant or something or other... but how do you disable acpi? I can't do it in bios, i checked (there's an option but it's greyed out). can you do it in win2k?

Comment

Ok, once again for the new ones.
                      <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q216/5/73.ASP">Q216573</a> and
                      <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q224/8/26.asp?LNG=ENG&SA=ALLKB">Q224826</a>
                      Asus K7V
                      Athlon 700
                      128mb PC133 HSDRAM
                      Matrox Millennium g400max
                      Adaptec 2940U2W
                      IBM 9gb U2W
                      Plextor 8/20 cdr
                      Diamond MX300
                      3com 905b-tx

Comment

Working...
                      X