Tech Problem for someone to solve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Problem for someone to solve

I just reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows 98. And now when I startup it either freezes with a few icons loaded on the desktop but the mouse still moveable but not clickable. Or as soon as it reaches the desktop it resets itself and keeps doing it over and over again.
    I have tried updating the bios, new drivers 5.52 i think, yet this problem still occurs.
    I think this is some sort of IRQ conflict because on startup the g400 is reported to be on IRQ 11 but windows always sets it up on IRQ 12. Is that the problem?

My system is

k6-333 o/c'ed to 380
    32mb SDRAM
    Aztech 338 A3D card
    Generic 10mbps Ethernet card
    Soltek super 7 Motherboard

The problem occured before I overclocked,
    and I have also reinstalled windows with both the sound card and the network card removed but it changed nothing.

I have contacted matrox but they haven't been much help.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Remove all cards from system,excluding video card.In bios make sure primary master is set to auto at both ends.Fdisk drive and format again.Reinstall windows.
    Make sure you have Via's 4in1 drivers and drivers for video and other devices.Once windows is installed,install Via's drivers(excluding busmastering,as windows does a better job)Install video drivers.Reboot and make sure all is well.Install audio drivers,etc.
    Video being on irq 11 is not a problem,unless it's sharing with another device(excluding pci steering).
    Try this procedure and see if it works.
    Also make sure bios has detected your hard drive correctly.

Comment

Booy into safe mode and check your IRQ assignment. If the G400 is on IRQ12, are you useing a PS/2 mouse?

Mark F.

------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
      --------------------------------------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Comment

I had a similar problem to this with a laptop but only when it was in the docking bay. The solution was to disable the USB ports.

It may help but there again it may not either way it's worth a try!
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Is that a VIA or ALi board?

Do you have the patches installed?

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
          X