G-200 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-200 Questions

Hey you guys, I've been a former Matrox user (Mystique220, M3D) and was looking at getting a G-200 for my "General Entertainment" box. The machine has:

FIC 6130 Via mb (Soon to be replaced with an ABit socket 370 board)
    Celeron 366
    96mb mem

I'm getting a DVD-ROM drive and decoder card for it as well as a SB Live! The purpose of this machine is to be an entertainment box to hook up to my TV so I can play games and watch movies from it. I was looking at a G200 w/TV out as an in expensive solution for my video needs. I would like to know how the G200 handles GLQuake, Quake2, Quake3, Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Starsiege Tribes. Also, is the OpenGL still using a wrapper (I remember this being the case some time ago) or does it have a proper ICD? Is D3D good? If I get this card, I'll also be getting an 8mb upgrade for it (I found them pretty cheap).

Thanks.

------------------
    The Future Was Yesterday

http://members.theglobe.com/reflexx1

G200 is a decent card. It does have a full ICD now, and it's D3D has always been quite good. If you do get it, I would avoid the memory upgrade. It will not do anything for you, except maybe make the system less stable. It won't add any speed to the card.

What you should really look into is a G400. They have dropped the prices on them recently. G400 is a much better card than G200, especially for TV-out stuff. This would also remove the need to get a separate decoder card. G400 does not need it (well, G200 doesn't really need one either, but G400 needs it even less )
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I am still using the G200 as my primary video card and it still works great! I play a lot of Unreal Tournament and find it perfect for that game! D3D games work fine.

Comment

Working...
      X