Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 at 133 MHz bus speed?

Hi!

I have used my PIII 450 MHz @ 600 MHz without any problems for 6 months. Rcently I have upgraded my memory to PC133 and changed the computer case from 235 W to 250 W. Since then my Matrox G400 does not seem to be able to handle the 133 MHz bus speed. Does anybody know, where I could start troubleshooting?

Csaba

What has changed in your system? You have upgraded the RAM to PC133 but were you already running 133Mhz FSB? Have you tried other vid cards or different PC's with the G400?

Simply changing the RAM to a better type should not stop the graphics card working. It could also be that the new case is hotter than the old one - try more cooling.

HTH, Paul
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Bringing the clock speed down is a good start.

Are you serious?

------------------
      Reach me on MS Messenger as everettes@hotmail.com
      Dual PIII500, Tyan S1832DL, 2 x 128 Kingston PC100CAS2 ECC, 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah,G400-32 SH, Plextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, Pioneer 303s, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS

PIII600EB, CC820, 256Megs, 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah,G400-32 SH, Plextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS

Comment

Hi!
        Thanx for the quick response. I usually run the machine without the cover, so cooling should not be the problem. The truth is that when I changed the memory, I was astonished that the PC133 memory can not do the same thing as the older PC100. I have some doubt that the shop did not sell PC133 but PC100. However, when I change the memory back to the old one that ran at 133 MHz for a long time, it does not work now. It can hardly manage 124 MHz. So I suspect that it is not only the video card problem but memory also.

Csaba

Comment

Hi Everett!
          I am not an overclocking freak. I am fine with 550 MHz. The only thing that bothers me that it ran at 133 MHz without any problems, and now I does not.

Csaba

Comment

I would have said that your mobo doesnt like your new RAM. Some mobos have trouble with some makes of RAM, but since you put your old stick back in, that doesnt seem to make sense.

Also, did you use the same DIMM slot for your ram?

With both sticks of ram doing the same thing, I think we can safely say its your power supply, or a seating fault.

If you still have your old case, pull the power supply out of that, and plug it into your computer. Just leave it dangling if it doesnt fit in the correct hole (be carefull not to short it on anything.

If that fixes your problem, then take your new case back and get a refund. Not all power supplies are made equal. A nice 250W can in some cases be better than a cheap 300W.

Hope you get back to 600 though.

Ali

Comment

Hi.

I have almost the same setup and don't hava any problems. I have asus p3b-f and p3 450 oc 600 with g400 single head 16mb.
              I'm running system on 133fsb but my memory are pc100 (I had to change cas to 3) Also I'm using agp 2x setup and don't have ANY problems.
              I don't remember what is my power supply, but I have Iwin q500 (full tower) case without ANY coolign fans, just cpu fan and power supply fan!!!!!
              Asus p3b-f p3 600E 512mb ram pc100 G400 sh 16mb sb live x-gamer ibm hd 20gb 7200rpm ide 3com 56.6 modem 3com 905b nic asus 50x plextor 4832 cdrw ide viewsonic gt775 hp dj720 hp sj 4100c Win 2000 pro

Comment

I'm hoping your AGP divider is set to 2/3.

There are 250 Watt power supplies and their are 250 Watt power supplies. They vary in quality by a large degree. So much so, that a "weaker" power supply might actually be better than the "upgrade." The problem might not be your RAM at all. I, like Ali, have seen 250 Watt units that run better than 300 Watt units.

Given that your old RAM doesn't help matters, that leaves one variable.

Good luck.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Power supply?

Comment

Power supply?
                    It sounds real strange to me that a power supply can play such an important role in overclocking. I have just changed my mobo from Abit BE 6.0 ver 2.0 to MSI 6163 Pro. I played Wolrd Rally Championship 2000 for an hour at 124 MHz (@558 MHz) . It runs fine. I used MGATweak 1.12 to overclock the video card to Fo=285 MHz. This seems to be the highest it can go. It does not get hot. I have custom fan on the heat-sink from an older K6 CPU. It does a good job to keep the video chip cold. However it does not go higher then 143 MHz (Clock speed). I have to say that I am perfectly happy with that. I even got around 10% improvement by installing the 5.22 Matrox drivers. However, when I try at 600 MHz it just sucks. Even windows give me the blue screen, which never happened before. I might try to change the powersupply back to the old one.
                    Thanx for the help.

Csaba

Comment

My bet's also on the PS.

Another thing to check is whether your BIOS settings changed. This seems too obvious, but could you have changed something and then forgotten about it?
                      PIII 500e @667
                      Soyo SY6BA+IV
                      Iwill Slotket II
                      G400 32MB Max
                      Nokia 445Xi 21"
                      and POS 14"
                      Aureal Vortex Superquad
                      256MB PC133
                      IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
                      Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Comment

What CAS latency is your RAM running at?

Comment

did you install the memory module in the same slot the old one was in?
                          PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                          128mb pc-100 cas 2
                          Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                          Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                          SB Live!
                          Winblows 98se & DX7
                          and 384k DSL!

Comment

Working...
                          X