No announcement yet.

Why does bus mastering crash my system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does bus mastering crash my system?

Has anyone else had this problem. It doesnt crash it all the time, just whenever i play any Direct3D games such as Freespace 2(Classic game, i recommend every one should buy it), and Mechwarrior 3.

Matrox Graphic Card:Milleneum G400 16Mb 300MHz RAMDAC
    Model #:
    PD version:5.52(i think that is the latest)
    VT version:
    MGA Bios version:
    Motherboard chipset: ALi M1541
    CPU:AMD 450MHz k6-2
    Motherboard Bios:
    Desktop resolution and color depth:800-600 32-bit
    Direct X version:7
    Hard Drive:16.6GB
    SCSI card type:
    Sound card and driver version:crystal 3D Audio. Latest( dont know number)
    Monitor brand:compaq
    DVD-ROM Drive (make/model):CD-ROM ATAPI 44 speed
    Othersinegroup 56,000 PCI Modem

IRQ listing:
    0: system timer
    1: keyboard
    2: interrupt controller
    3: COM2
    4: COM1
    5:Crystal PnP Audio Systems controller
    6: floppy disk controller
    7: LPT1
    8: realtime clock
    9:
    10:Matrox Millenium G400
    10:IRQ Holder for PCI steering
    11: Crystal PnP Audio system MPU-401 compatible
    12: ESS Modem device manager
    12: ESS ES56T-PI Data Fax voice modem
    12: IRQ Holder for PCI steering
    13: numeric data processor
    14: ALi BUS master PCI to IDE Controller
    14: primary IDE controller(Ultra DMA)
    15: ALi BUS Master PCI to IDE controller
    15: secondary IDE controller(Ultra DMA)

Well.. it's your chipset that you use as you platform...
    A way around it is to use the Reg. hacks and force AGP1x, and then try your games... I have a feeling that should solve it...

SS7 isn't always the easiest to get AGP to operate properly... and I do remember reading the ALi had more problems than the VIA counterparts...

Craig
    1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Stringy,

What you are sayig is absolutely false. I have an almost identical setup and I have ZERO problems. Do you have the latest AGP and BusMastering drivers for your Motherboard? Who is the manufacturer? I have an Asus and have no probs at all. Don't worry about forcing your system to AGP 1x because it probably is already doing that. You cna download PCIList to see what it is running at.

Dave

------------------
      I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

If all else fails, try PD 5.41 or 5.30, and download TurboGL 1.0. The 5.5X drivers are often not the best choice for non-Intel chipsets.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Umm Helevitia
          I never said it wasn't Impossible, I just said it isn't the easiest thing in the world...
          that is all I said...

I don't think anyone would argue the SS7's are a pain to get AGP working 100%, but certainly possible...

Glad you have no problems,
          I've seen over 100 posts from users with SS7's that have had problems...

Craig
          1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

The usual solution for bus mastering problems is to turn off DMA for your CD-ROM in device manager and leave it on for your G400. But a bus mastering problem usually causes crashes in everything - not just D3D games. The 5.52 drivers have a known problem with G200's and D3D, but most people have reported that their G400's work fine with 5.52 and D3D. Try turning off DMA on your CD, but I'm not sure that that will solve your problem.

RAB
            AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Do the 5.52 drivers work fine with ALi chipsets? I know they give VIA-users fits.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 16 March 2000).]

Comment

Well actually stingray, most of the problems stem around the VIA chipsets. So you are right, you've seen alot of posts about SS7 but VIA chipsets. I'm not saying that there are not any probs with the ALI chipstes, just not nearly as many.

paulcs,

Yes, the 5.52 drivers work with the ALI chipset just fine.

------------------
                I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hey RAB, looking familiar??? hahaha

Hey Wibble, make sure you have all the shadowing off in the bios. Also set your agp apperture size to 128 or 256. I had these same problems (this didn't fix it, but it helped) so Dave will probably be able to help a lot more than me. The only drivers I was able to get it to work with were the 5.3. Check this thread out too. It may help. It's what eventually fixed mine.
                  http://amdzone.pcstats.com/messagevi...&threadid=3806

Try these things and then get back to us. BTW, I think the main problem that is occuring with ss7 + ali systems is that the bandwith is getting choked on the G400 and it freezes. I have read this somewhere and believe its validity. When I put the G400 in my new system, I didn't have 1 problem....

Dimitri
                  "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                  --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Force AGP 1. I had these problems with Agp 2.
                    When i switch back to 1 my system never crashed.

AMD K6-2 350, SOYO 5EHM (MVP3 VIA ),MATROX G400 DH 32MB,64 MB RAM

Comment

Well, I have had no problems at all with my Asus p5a mobo (ali), and Im running the latest pd5.52 with agp2x, so it is possible. Actually I have done it with all the drivers released since august last year. With the first release 5.15 I think, I had to edit my registry to make it work, but all in all it works like a charm!

specs:
                      K6-3 450
                      Asus p5a rev 1.04 bios 1007.a
                      128mb pc100
                      Pioneer 103s dvd-rom
                      SBLive retail
                      IBM deskstar 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
                      Logitech Mousemanwheel USB
                      Matrox g400 MAX
                      Win 98
                      dx7.0
                      Ali agpdriver 1.65e
                      Busmasterdrivers v3.55
                      System:
                      Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
                      AMD Thunderbird 800
                      SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
                      Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
                      LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
                      IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
                      Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
                      WinME
                      directx 8.0a
                      384mb pc133

Comment

This guy really tries it on all forums at about the same time, I think...
                        http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003187.html
                        http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001560.html

and here

Ah well... as long as we can help him?

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Dimitri,
                          Deja vu all over again. (to quote a famous Yogi ). But after all our trials and tribulations, I'm glad to see that AGP 1x seems to fix things. On VIA chipsets, AGP 2x never seemed to be a problem with the G200 (for me at least), but I guess Ali chipsets are more fussy.

This gave me an idea that I'll try out soon. I've been having trouble with Windows recognizing my HDD as UDMA33 on my Epox/VIA/G200/K6III-400 machine. Whenever I check DMA in its properties, I can't get Windows to load when I restart and I have to use scanreg to get things working again. I never connected this problem with AGP drivers before. Maybe if I load my AGP drivers in 1x mode, then UDMA will work. Hmmm?

RAB
                          AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Working...
                          X