Problem with Dual Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Dual Head

I run a G400MAX with the main monitor at 1152x864, and the second at 1024x768. Everytime I reboot all my icons at moved down to teh lower corner of my main monitor. I am running Win98SE.

Also why is there the very limited support fo r the dual head in W2k? it only lets me pick 2 positions fo rthe second monitor.. and neither are where my monitor is

Please help!

Joe
    C-ya
    Joe "Clegg"

Well,

I use 1600x1200 1st monitor and 1024x768 in 2nd. Dont know how else to do this, but i use the save icon position thing from Powerdersk, and everytime i have my icons mixed up, i just hit ctrl+alt+i ( my hotkey to arrange icons ) and problem fixed.

HINT! Allso you should add 2 desktop themes ( dont remember what they really were called, but i quess you will know what i ment. ), one for 2 monitor setup and the other for 1 monitor setup. You can put your second monitor to the right place, and dont have to set it up all the time.. =) I have my 2nd monitor on the left side from my 1st monitor and i like to align the bottom of desktops, so before had to move the 2nd monitor to the place i wanted it if i had disabled it before.

Then assign hotkeys for both setup's and you can switch from 1 to 2 monitor setup as fast you can hit crtl+alt+1 or crtl+alt+2 ( again my hotkeys ).

Just remember to get the 1 monitor setup by just unchecking the use my second monitor in monitor setup ( where you have resolution changer etc.. )

The problem with the dualhead support in W2k is in the W2k-code, that part was copied from NT and Microsoft SHOULD fix this in their first service pack this summer. =)

Pe-Te

----------
    C300A@463, 128Mb PC100, Matrox G400MAX, 19" Hitatchi + 15" Nokia, 21Gb Hd etcetc.

Comment

I don't want to look like I'm blaming good ol' MS for everythng, but in this case, it's their mistake:

1- The icons going nuts is a bug in Win9x that happens when 2 display adapters (or a single one with two outputs) is put in a system for a few days. After some time, the icon position cache seems to lose coherency.
      this is the main reason there is now a Save/Restore icon position in PowerDesk.

2- Win2k does not recognize display adapters with more than one output - it sees them as a single display. This is why the monitor arrangement is limited.

Phoenix.

Comment

Phoenix, are you sure about point #1? Before I got my G400 Max, I had a pair of i740's giving my my dual-monitor lovin', and I NEVER had the icon problem.

C=64

Comment

Working...
        X