g400 lockups in windows, but not in UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400 lockups in windows, but not in UT

I have some serious lockups with my g400. After a while my system locks up in windows doing word or using the file explorer and such things. However it never locks up when i'm playing unreal. I had the pd 5.31 drivers and all was working fine, then installed 5.52 and everything went bad. uninstalled the 5,52 with the uninstaller rebooted and installed the 5.31 again but now had the same problems with my screen garbaging and locking up. But I must mention i've installed and deinstalled a lot of cards lately so maybe it has nothing to do with the drivers. Not the soundcard though only the network card. My system is a abit be6 mobo, ibm udma66 drive sb128 pci aoopen cdrom on prim ide master and philips writer on sec ide master planet network card. The irq assignment is :
    00 System Timer
    01 Standart 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    02 Programmable Interrupt Controller
    03 Communication Port (COM2)
    04 Communication Port (COM1)
    05 g400 english
    05 IRQ holder for pci steering
    06 Standard disk controller
    07 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    08 System CMOS/real time clock
    10 Planet nic
    10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host COntroller
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 hptudma controller
    11 hptudma controller
    11 SB 128pci
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 WheelMouse2 (PS/2)
    13 Numeric Data Processor
    14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    14 Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo)

The slots look like this:
    Agp g400
    pci nothing
    pci nothing
    pci SB 128 pci
    pci nothing
    pci planet nic
    So can someone help me out?

Well your first issue is definitely the G400 on IRQ5... even if you mean to have SB compatibility disabled in your sound card, IRQ 5 is too low priority for a high-bandwidth card like the G400.

If you aren't using your serial ports, I would suggest disabling them in BIOS to free up IRQs and then Windows might reassign resources in a more useful fashion.

and HEY!!!! <U>What the heck happened to IRQ 9</u>!!! We NEED IRQ 9!!!

Please recheck System Information and let us know what's up with that....

-------------------
    Holly

Comment

Hi woutur,

For starters you should move the G400 off of IRQ 5 and on to IRQ 9. It appears that IRQ 9 is empty since you don't show it on your list. To do this go to the "PNP/PCI Configuration" part of your system BIOS. Set PIRQ-1 to use IRQ no. 9 .

See if that helps if not you may have to move your Planet Nic or the SB128 pci to another slot or assign another IRQ to them.

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
      X