G200 memory upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 memory upgrade

I own a 8 Mb SDRAM G200 OEM and I want to upgrade to 16 Mb. I received an excellent offer, but it´s SGRAM memory. The person who is selling me the memory says that it works. If I upgrade, is this bound to give me problems?

Don't do it!!!

I really doubt that you want to buy that upgrade. It won't help you out very much, and it actually slows the G200 down (it underclocks itself when it sees the extra RAM).

Also, I don't think you can mix the memory types like that, anyway.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks, Wombat.

Comment

Yea I wouldn't Mix the memory types... I doubt it would function at all if you did...

As for the Memory upgrade itself, it's not all that bad... It doesn't underclock the card, but it DOES limit the O/C'ability of the card greatly (in most cases)
        And the Extra RAM doesn't help out on normal operations, as far as I can tell...
        I have the Millenium G200 with the SGR and the upgrade module.

Craig
        1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

I agree with the advice but 16Mb will boost performance slighlty, though it will problably not be noticeable and it will probably let you run higher resolutions - my 8Mb SG can't do 1600x1200 @ 32bit in 2D but the 16Mb will (I think?)

Paul.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Adding more memory isn't going to boost your performance one bit. You'll be capable of running at higher resolutions, but that will most definetly slow you down!

Save your $$ for a new card. You can probably pick up a single head OEM G400 for $90 or so if you're in the US.

Comment

Working...
            X