G800 rumors...anyone...pleeeease :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G800 rumors...anyone...pleeeease :)

If you have any g800 rumors or speculations please post them in this thread! My next vid card will be the g800 (from my g400 max) and I just wanna hear some rumors as to what I can expect. This is your cue ANT...

Well all the info I have gathered so far is that the G800 will have full hardware T&L built around the new DirectX8 implementation, it will have EMBM, DualHead plus some "exciting extras", it is scheduled to see the light of day late summer and there will be dual G800 boards as well as the regular single G800 flavour. Don't worry as soon as I find out more I'll let you all know

Comment

thanks ant! Dual g800 boards eh? Kinda like the ATI MAxx...only with a good processor and good implementation and from a good company right?

What would these "exciting extras" be though?

Comment

They will be something along the lines of what 3DFX calls "T-Buffer"
        Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Lets see 1.5 Gig processors, 500watt PS, 256 HDSRAM, G800 dual head 64 meg, starting to sound good....Im pretty board right now with the hardware situation. Im busy with projects and Napster. I need some exciting new hardware, don't you?

Comment

T-Buffer!!!!!! what a crap!!!!!!!
            The last thing i wan't is a Matrox product with 3Dfx's picture quality and FX (NOOOOOO WAY).
            Did you realise that the 3Dfx's Voodoo5 picture is so BAD that it actully reminds me Nintedo64's super-blurry-shit picture quality .
            Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Don't be so shy alessandro, tell us what you realy think!

chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Out of curiosity, as long as we seem to be there already ( ), do you think that the G800 will support EMBM as well or will that be taken off? It SHOULD support it right, because you usually build on the old (what is good about it at least) and then add some. I hope it's still there. That would be sweet to see a game with both T&L and EMBM working together.

Dimitri
                "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Well Muad'Dib,

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if you read Ant's post above, you'll notice that he in fact already mentioned that it would support EMBM. I know it's kinda hard to read being all caps like that and only coming from the guy who knows more than we do. Anyway, don't take any of this offensively, I'm just yanking your chain

Dave

------------------
                  I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

What I would REALLY like to see though, is that the dual head implementation be seen as actually 2 video cards in the system, both with equally powerful RAMDACs, as well as both supporting overlay, so I can watch my DVD's on my 2nd monitor!!!

Larry

Comment

The G800 s'posed to have DUAL processors on the card, eh??? ...Well, that's what I heard once.

Comment

Errr, gee, Larry... and here I thought that the whole point of DualHead was to not have to have 2 cards taking up slots in the system.... what was I thinking..... ?

Because for your solution, I could just as easily buy 2 of the same card (like everyone else has to do....)

Am I not getting something here???

Oh wait, you mean that each head be listed as a separate card with it's own settings and all, right?

Well, that would be cool, but isn't it close to insanely undoable? Since essentially you'd have to put 2 complete PCBs on one?? I know we've had lots of advances in transistor engineering, but look how at well integrated motherboards (don't) work at this very moment.

Seems to me we wouldn't be seeing such innovation for another 2-5 years (by which time someone will have had a better idea anyway... )

Just my (fairly uninformed ) opinion...

-----------------------
                        Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 09 March 2000).]

Comment

Ahem, Holly, er, um, AGP spec?
                          No flames please, I'm dainty!
                          chuck

Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I guess we'll all just have to wait til Matrox actually does something about it. But if the G450 isn't much better then the G400Max then why spend the cash just for the sake of upgrading. Most TNT2 Ultra owners were suprised at how underwhelmed they were with the Gforce SDR when they upgraded. On the other hand as games get mre complex and require more porcessing power to run the G400 will slowly slide off the performace map. Games like Evolva are nearing completion and I doubt a G400 would run it well without disabling many options that add to the gameplay a game with such high poly counts go, that is unless they compromised in the number of polys to accomidate older hardware. I'm lucky in the fact that I have a processor that runs over 800MHZ and that might prolong the usefullness of the G400Max I have for now. Now for the hard question. Do I wait for Matrox to bring out a product that I know from past Matrox experience will not arrive on time. DirectX 8 will be July-August, perhaps we will see the Gwhatever sometime around September or October, and how much will this superchip cost in relation to the other cards out that will have been out for awhile at that point. These are just some serious questions I have about Matrox next product, not the G400 spring refresh know as the G450.
                            PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

More importantly, if the cards are released on time, and compare favorably with the competition (as the G400s did), will we have to WAIT 3-6 months for them to be generally available in any quantity and 6-12 months for relatively mature drivers (all features supported)?

------------------
                              Ace
                              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                              Gainward Ti4600
                              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
                              X