Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garbage on the screen and computer hangs with g400.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage on the screen and computer hangs with g400.

I have a problem with matrox g400 32 sgram. When i keep the default setting in power desk (bus mastering, polygon acceleration etc) windows 98 se hangs just before it finishes to load at start up.

I get garbage with long vertical lines of different color moving across the screen. Computer hangs and doesn't respond.

When i dissable all perfomance options in power desk - everything is ok.

I have tried all pd drivers from 5.30 and up.

Somebody had the same problem?

---
    My system: asus p3b-f, p-III 450, 128 sdram, matrox g400, creative live! 1024.

Im having the same problems!!!!!! Exactly the same!! for months, lost count and now im stuck with this POS. Infact I stuck my voodoo 3 2000 in because I got sick of tring to play games and the constant crashes...lines...and plaid startups!!!!!!!!! Take my advice and buy a new video card and donate that pos matrox g400 to school or church and get a tax wright off. thats what im going to do! Or im going to call up matrox and ask them if they can replace my card.

Comment

Hi the Eych,

Pay no attention to the inbreeder above, he has no clue on how to solve your problems. I would like to see a complete IRQ listing then we can start to help you out. Also what is your desktop resolution and colordepth set to?

Rags

Comment

Sounds like your card may be either faulty or overheating. If the fan spinning, I know that dodgy fans were an issue with older cards. I should return the card and try a replacement.
        What do you want a signature for?

Comment

http://www.tweakfiles.com/video/agpswitcher.html
          use the program above, and force to agp 1x..
          blah blah blah

Comment

My card is on irq 11 and shares it only with pci irq steering (whatever it is).

And my card has no fan at all.

If i switch to agp 1x - will it slow down 2d/3d perfomance of my system?

Comment

I had this problem as well. I have a A3d sound card, seems to prevent this from happening I have to reinstall my drivers for my sound card after I install a new PD version.

Comment

Hi the eych,

do you really want help? If you do please do what is asked.

Rags

Comment

Hi rags.

I thought i answered your question about irq above. Do you really think that i should put all my irqs here?

Btw, screen resolution DOES matters. Garbeg and lockout happens only on 1024x768 (32 bit) resolution. 640x480 is ok, but i haven't tested 800x600.

Comment

Hi the Eych,

Yes, that's why I said complete IRQ listing. While you are at it, try booting into windows at 800X600 32bit, then goto display properties, advanced, monitor settings, adjust different display mode, and try changing the refresh rate for 1024X768 32bit until it doesn't display garbage any longer, save the settings, change your display to 1024X768 32bit, then reboot and see if it happens again.

Rags

Comment

Hi Rags,

I have tried everything that you adviced me - it doesn't help.

And my garbage on the screen is not the same as refresh rate problems garbage =). I have seen them a lot. And refresh grabage dosn't hang the system.

And i was wrong about 640x480 mode - the same garbage at this mode too.

Also i have located the option that makes all this garbage and stuff - it is bus mastering. When everything in perfomance options is switched on accept bus mastering - everything is ok. When i switch bus mastering on and reload my system - i get garbage and lockout.

Do you still need my irq listing? =)

Comment

The Eych, if you started with giving Rags what he (and alot of us hanging back here) wanted in the first place, you might already have gotten an answer on what to do.

So on the question of you giving the COMPLETE IRQ listing our answer would be:
                        <center><font size=6>YES!!</font></center>

Jorden.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Also give us what cards you have in your PC, running down.

AGP
                          PCI
                          PCI
                          PCI
                          PCI
                          (PCI)
                          (ISA)
                          (ISA)

Use the above list (copy and paste) and add what card you have in what slot. The slots inbetween ()'s are optionals, if you don't have them on your mobo.

Jorden.

P.S: I have a question of my own: Which BIOS do you use for your P3B-F, and what did you change in there? You can email me about that, if you want.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 03 March 2000).]
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Okey people.

My irqs are as follows:

00 System Timer
                            01 Standart 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
                            02 Programmable Interrupt Controller
                            03 Communication Port (COM2)
                            04 Communication Port (COM1)
                            05 Creative SB16 Emulation
                            06 Standart Floppy Disk Controller
                            07 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
                            08 System CMOS/real time clock
                            10 Creative SB Live! Value
                            10 PCI Plug & Play Ethernet Card
                            10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
                            10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                            11 Matrox Millennium G400 - English
                            11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                            12 WheelMouse2 (PS/2)
                            13 Numeric Data Processor
                            14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                            14 Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo)
                            15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                            15 Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo)

AGP - Matrox G400
                            PCI - SB Live!
                            PCI - Ethernet card
                            PCI - don't use it
                            PCI - don't use it
                            ISA - don't use it

And the last one, specially for Jorden - my asus bios is 1004 (this is the latest accoring to asus update utility). And i haven't change anything in it (just switched off numlock when loading).

Hope this info will help you to help me. =)

Comment

Just try to plug the sblive into another pci slot, as the slot next to agp uses irq-sharing.

Hope this helps,
                              Philipp
                              Philipp, pagemakerz.de

Comment

Working...
                              X