Is there a free DVD prog for W2K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a free DVD prog for W2K?

I'm just looking for a free prgo to play dvd's on W2k. I hate having to reboot into w98 just play a movie or something. Thankx.

did you try typing "dvdplay" at a command prompt?

chucky

Comment

That's a player without a decoder chucky, I think he is after a software decoder.

Paul

Comment

Vinegar,

i just purchased powerdvd 2.5 and it runs fine under win2k. i removed win98 from my system...no escape hatch now!

chucky

Configuration:

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100, 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Intellimouse Explorer

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI 10/100 Mbps controller, and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Samsung 17" Flat Panel Display(.264mm pitch) model 770TFT.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

Comment

www.digital-digest.com

------------------
          C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN
          C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

GEEZE, Chucky, that's a God system. Out of curiousity, although completely off-topic, is your flat panel working out nicely? That's my next big PC purchase.

On topic question: Can you play DVDs on it, or just the crt?

-Chris

Comment

Chris

thanks for the compliment...and yes, it is working out very well. i have my 21" at 1280x1024 and the samsung at 1280x1024(...both at 16 bit). so with dual-head enabled i have 2560x1024, 16 bit. i use autocad alot, so i surf the web on the "samsung" and have autocad on the 21". works nice but i would rather have the "separate" monitors like in win98.

i can't get any streaming video to work on the samsung tft. real audio an quicktime both stop the video but continue with the sound...no biggie!!

chucky

Comment

hey thanks for the replies, but they still don't answer my question. Are there any good free DVD windows based DVD players that work in W2K? I'll appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

Comment

There aren't any free software DVD players for Windows.

PowerDVD 2.55 and WinDVD 2000 for example work under Windows 2000. Neither of them are free, you either get it bundled with some hardware, purchase it online or download a copy illegally.

According to their website, the Cinemaster engine now also supports Win2000 -- in fact, they say it is the first software DVD player to be certified Windows 2000 compatible by Microsoft.
                  So far I haven't come across such a new version of Cinemaster to work correctly under Win2k.

Comment

Working...
                  X