• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCRAM (about) : read this ...

hi,

to learn more about fcram and other DRAM read this white-paper from Toshiba
    http://www.toshiba.com/taec/componen...P_memory.shtml

----------
    I just read spec for the G450, and something seems (to me) to be wrong.

G400 is a 128 bits processor, using 2 memory bus size from 128 bits. I can't imagine Matrox using on one site faster memory and drop the bus size from 128 to 64 bits.

Perheaps is the dram component 64 bits not the memory bus ! Any idea ?

Well, that's really nifty. I like speed potential, almost 2x the effective bandwidth of DDR.

I really like how Matrox gives new RAM technologies a hard look. WRAM, SGRAM, heck SDRAM. They were early adopters of many of those and it has given them an advantage every time.

------------------
    ABIT BF6, Pentium III SL35D 450MHz -> 630MHz, 192MB PC100 SDRAM @ 140MHz, Toshiba 6X DVD,
    Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive Value, 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI
    Supermicro SC701A ATX 300watt TurboCool PC Power & Cooling PS, Panasonic Panasync S17
    Last edited by dneal; 20 May 2022, 09:04.

Comment

yes,

you're right. Matrox has always takes care abour memory.

Using high-perf ram with only a g400, suggest
      that Matrox think the great bottleneck is in memory not in fillrate.

I think a G400 Max with faster DDR memory than those used on the GeForce will give us great FPS in game like Q3.

Comment

Well, in order to solve the memory bottleneck, it's much better to increase the RAM speed than to increase bus width (because the wider your bus is, the hardest it is to use it 100%). So it does make sense...

Because the G450 does not seem to be clocked much higher than the G400 Max, it does not need much more bandwith. So, basically, it comes down to than doubling memory speed, and halving the bus speed (=> more efficiency).

Wait and see...

------------------
        Corwin the Brute

Corwin the Brute

Comment

Working...
        X