• Show
Clear All

• G400 success rate @ 133FSB ?

Anybody able to shed any light?
    Thanks in advance
    Jas...
    MiNIoN
    helixx_@hotmail.com

I've had problems with the FSB at 133 MHz (and the AGP slot at 89 MHz) with AGP 2x enabled. After forcing AGP 1x, things worked fine. There's a good chance your board will default to AGP 1x. Take my word for it, this is probably a good thing.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 09 March 2000).]

Comment

See system below. This board runs the 3.3v at 3.5v, which probably helps.

The only time I've had my system default to x1 is when I stupidly tried to do 105mhz on the AGP with 1:1 at 105, because 3dmark2000 ran fine at 100mhz 1:1. Need to find those limits, right? I had to reflash my G400 BIOS after it locked up soon after the boot.

Otherwise, I'm at 2x/sideband up to 100mhz AGP at 150 fsb. 3D is fairly stable up to 144/96. I ran 3dmark2000 four times in a row at that speed last night without a crash. But sometimes at that speed that benchmark locks up. I usually run at 133/89, I feel that gives me a substantial safety margin.

So I'd say that if you have a decent board a G400 has a very good chance of running 89mhz even with 2x and sideband.

------------------
      PIII 500e @667
      Soyo SY6BA+IV
      Iwill Slotket II
      G400 32MB Max
      Nokia 445Xi 21"
      and POS 14"
      Aureal Vortex Superquad
      128MB PC133
      IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
      Toshiba 8/40 DVD

[This message has been edited by mkaresh (edited 09 March 2000).]
      PIII 500e @667
      Soyo SY6BA+IV
      Iwill Slotket II
      G400 32MB Max
      Nokia 445Xi 21"
      and POS 14"
      Aureal Vortex Superquad
      256MB PC133
      IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
      Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Comment

Mine will run 2X at 133FSB (89 AGP). The motherboards seem to have a lot to do with success at high 2X speeds. Most G400s will handle 133FSB at 1X or 2X (just try).

Mark F.

------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Comment

To "force" 1x AGP we need to set the aperture to what size? I thought it was 16MB? Is this true? Also, don't the TurboGL drivers ask that you set the AGP Aperture to 256 or else artifacts will appear, etc. If we use this apeture method to "force" 1x mode what will happen to the TurboGl. Also, I've heard about the drivers automatically switching down to 1X. How does this work? Is there a hack that does this or is it certain driver revisions that will do this automatically. I'm currently running my 550E on a BX and I'm seriously considering a VIA board, but from what I have read and seen, VIA and Matrox have many compatibility problems. I've tried my G440MAX @ 133 FSB and it can't handle it for very long, after about 5-10 minutes of 3d gaming it locks up. It's definitely not the CPU overheating, etc. I know it's the card. Can anyone help me here? Thanks

[This message has been edited by Jayman (edited 09 March 2000).]

Comment

Jayman you don't need to drop the Agp Aperture. Just download the registry hacks from Ants homepage www.murc.ws. Unzip them and you'll see one agpx1 or something to that effect.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Do u guy's also tried 140Fsb???
              I do not know, do you?

Comment

My system does not like 140. AGP locks up. Fairly stable at 144 though. Go figure.
                PIII 500e @667
                Soyo SY6BA+IV
                Iwill Slotket II
                G400 32MB Max
                Nokia 445Xi 21"
                and POS 14"
                Aureal Vortex Superquad
                256MB PC133
                IBM DPTA 20.5GB 7200rpm
                Toshiba 8/40 DVD

Comment

Iv got a bx6r2 and my G400max runs perfect at 129fsb 2/3 agp2x, sometimes however when running 133fsb 2/3 agp2x, it will slow down to agp1x which sucks balls... I added the force agp2x so now whenever it wants to go down to 1x, it will crash instead!
                  hahaha, There is more then 1 way to skin a cat!

------------------
                  G400 on a G400
                  What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

im running my MAX at a happy 96mhz without a hiccup.......
                    First Love:
                    • Lite-On FS020 enclosure w/4 120mm Panaflos and soon a 172mm Nidec
                    • MSI 694D Pro w/ BIOS 1.6
                    • 2x800E cC0 Pentium 3 w/ 2xVolcanoII
                    • SyncMAX(NEC) PC166 VCM SDRAM 4x128mb w/ CAS = 1
                    • nVidia Quadro2 Pro, but Matrox at heart
                    • And other non-important stuff like hard drives and a dvd drive
                    • Pineapples

Second Love:
                    1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

My G400 runs sweet on a 150FSB (running a 550E and some damn good memory(which isn't mine=( ))

Rags

Comment

Mine does 2x at 133 but I drop it to 1x above that Im trying for 150 and i think ill make it It seems ok at 148 but doesnt restart well, locks on boot 1/2 the time ........

Matt

------------------
                        Abit BF6, P3 600E AT 900, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

My G400 runs fine at 89, even runs at 94 but have to set AGPx1.

Hey Plmr, I'm thinking of doing a Fastrak thing to. Your running the same drives as I am, how does your setup work?

------------------
                          Primary system, Asus P3B-F1, PIII 600B, 128Mb PC133 RAM, 18.2Gb KA drive, HP CDRW & Travan drive, SB64PCI, Intel EPro+ PnP NIC, G400 and a ViewSonic 17" monitor.

Secondary system, ASUS P3B-F1, C366 OC'd to 550, 128Mb PC100 RAM, 10.2Gb DMPlus, 5x CL DVD Kit, ZIP Drive, AWE64, Intel EPro+ PnP NIC, CL TNT(1) and a Sceptre 17" monitor.
                          Nothing sadder than seeing a beautiful theory getting slammed by an ugly fact!

Comment

I have a PIIIe coppermine running at 667mhz..that's 5x133 with a 16MMB DualHead G400.
                            Awesome performance.., rock solid.
                            Even have the g400 overclocked to 146/194

ABIT BH6 with a 128MBpc100 Fujitsu ram.

NO problems with 133mhz with AGP at 2/3 setting.

tIgGeR

------------------
                            The Wonderful thing about tIgGers is tIgGers are fast deadly and sneaky. ;-)

[This message has been edited by tIgGeR (edited 11 March 2000).]
                            The Wonderful thing about tIgGers is tIgGers are fast deadly and sneaky. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                            X