Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k Install & DVD

Quick unrelated question, then the related:
    With Win2k, if I buy the upgrade version, will I have any problems doing a fresh install on a new hard drive with nothing on it? Is the CD bootable?

Now the related:
    I was talking to a guy today who warned me not to use DVD in Win2k. Funny thing, because I've seen DVD work just fine in Win2k with WinDVD and the G400MAX. He had a hardware decoder and didn't know the software he was running. Not exactly a well described problem, he just said that he had to do a reinstall for some reason.

So the question of the day is if anybody has had any real issues with DVD in Win2k using the G400MAX and ANY software?

Thanks a lot for any helpful info!

b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Hi Spooge,

AFAIK, the upgrade CD is not bootable.

As far as DVD goes, I have been running winDVD just fine from the get-go on win2K with my G400.

Rags

Comment

The NT4 -> W2000 upgrade disk I bought booted fine straight from the CD and I did a clean install on my freshly formatted drive. During the install it did ask for an NT4 cd to verify I had one - once it was happy it spat it out and the 2000 install continued.

Regards Mark.

Comment

Does new PowerDVD 2.55 work in W2k with G400 all right ?

------------------
        ABIT BX6v2
        Celeron300A@450
        64MB SDRAM 6ns
        G400 16MB DH
        Yamaha DS-XG
        Hitachi GD2500BX
        ABIT BX6v2
        Celeron300A@450
        Alpha PAL6035, 27CFM fan
        64MB SDRAM 6ns
        G400 16MB DH
        Yamaha DS-XG
        Hitachi GD2500BX+

Comment

I had win98 and tried to see what would happen if i tried to upgrade it with the win2000 nt upgrade and lo and behold it worked without asking for the nt disk.When i did a fresh installation it did ask for a nt disk.

Comment

I just installed a clean copy of Win2k and then installed the latest Powerdesk drivers for it. however, the cd to install my matrox dvd player doesn't work. setup runs, gives the loading installshield stuff, and then disappears. when i shut down, the computer complains that "setup" isn't terminating properly.

any thoughts on how i can install the player?

------------------

Comment

There is a reason I recommended using WinDVD and not Matrox's DVD player....that reason is because currently Win2K is not supported by the Matrox DVD player.

Rags

Comment

smokva

i just purchased powerDVD 2.5 and it's running fine here...

Platform Configuration:

Motherboard: AMI MegaRUM II, dual 600Mhz Pentium III processors (installed), each with a 32/512 Cache configuration. 512 Mb of PC100, 8ns memory. Symbios Logic 53C896 U2W SCSI controllers. Intel 443GX Xeon chipset.

SCSI I/O:

Channel 1(LVD/U2): 4 Seagate LVD Cheetah 18LP, ST39103LW Ultra2 Wide SCSI-3 hard Drives, each with 1024k cache.

Channel 2(SE): JAZ 2GB internal, Plex-Writer 8/20, Pioneer DVD-303s ultra-scsi DVD reader and 2 UltraPlex-Wide 17/40 speed CD-ROM drives.

USB: USB Zip Drive, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Intellimouse Explorer

Networking: The network adapter is a 3Com 3C509B-TX PCI 10/100 Mbps controller, and a US Robotics Courier V.Everything 33.6/28.8/x2/V.90 internal ISA modem.

Video: Matrox G400 Max with Dual Head. The primary display is a Panasonic PanaSync E21, .25-dot pitch, 20" viewable; the secondary display is a Samsung 17" flat panel display(700TFT), .264 pitch.

Multi-media: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live PCI Bus Mastering sound card. Speaker system is the Cambridge Works FPS2000 Digital speaker system.

IRQ Usage Summary:

00 - System timer
                01 - Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
                02 - Programmable interrupt controller
                04 - Communications Port (COM1)
                05 - Creative SB16 Emulation
                06 - Standard Floppy Disk Controller
                08 - System CMOS/real time clock
                09 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                09 - 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/lOOMb TX Ethernet NIC (3C905B-TX)
                10 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                10 - Symbios 22910, 21002 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C896 Device
                11 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                11 - Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
                11 - Creative SB Live!
                12 - Microsoft PS/2 Mouse (IntelliPoint)
                13 - Numeric data processor
                14 - Intel(r) 82371AB/EB/MB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
                14 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                15 - Symbios 22910, 21002 PCI SCSI Adapter; 53C896 Device
                15 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

...uh thats win98s' irq table...you would think that i'd have problems with the g400 and live on the same irq, but hey...everything running smooth

chucky

Comment

I have a Pioneer 10X DVD drive and a G400. I am using PowerDVD 2.55 to play DVD's. I have also cracked the firmware so that my drive is regionless. Under Win98SE I have had no problems playing any regioned movie with either Matrox DVD player or PowerDVD. Under Win2k however there is an advanced properties box for the DVD drive under device manager... this box lists the current region and states that I can only change my drives region ONCE more and then it updates the firmware to be permanent... I have been to nervous to change the region but Win98SE never had this option...

Comment

Working...
                  X