Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had any luck overclocking the G200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had any luck overclocking the G200?

I own a G200 SD AGP and I would like to know if I can get some visible results overclocking it. Its default frequency is 89 Mhz, and I´d like to reach 100 Mhz without cooling. Is it possible?

SPECS:
    INTEL CELERON 433,
    G200 SD 8MB AGP (BIOS 2.6),
    INTEL ATLANTA 440LX BIOS rev.15
    SOUNDBLASTER PCI 128
    128 MB SDRAM
    AGP aperture size 256 MB
    Latest Powerdesk and DirectX
    Win98 SE

Thanx

------------------
    Remember folks:
    "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers"
    Pablo Picasso

That's absolutely possible !
    With a little fan, i reach 112 MHz (150 MHz for the memory) and it's very stable
    Without any fan you should be able to reach 100 Mhz without any problem
    Just try, if it doesn't work, your sytem will in the worst case crash, and you'll just have to reboot

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

When I added a fan and changed the heatsink epoxy to good thermal grease, I ran at 119.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

This should probably be in the MGA Op Tools forum, but yeah, they OC pretty well. With a tennmaxx lasagne cooler I can take my G200 SD 16MB up to 120 core / 160 mem completely stable and without artifacts (also have little sinks on the RAM chips, which helps prevent artifacts very well). Using MGATweak with the following mem settings - 3 / 2 / 3 / 6 / 3 / 1 / Fast / 1 / 1 / 1 / 0 /0 / 3201 . I have found these to be the fastest stable mem timings on the SD board at the max clock speed. Since you have an 8MB version, you may be able to get a little more speed on the mem settings though. Without a fan on the G200 chip you probably won't be able to get it to 120 / 160, but you should be able to do 100 without a sweat.

------------------
          "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."
          "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

I don´t want to put a cooler on it (or in the case) because I don´t know how to do it, and I don´t know anyone that does it. Here in Portugal overclocking is very rare.

I just want to squeeze everything I can out of my G200 without a fan. If I can buy a 486 fan and point it to the G200 chip, will it help?

Also, I use Matrox Overclock 3.0 (BGR software). Is this program alright? I don´t like Powerstrip because it gobbles up too much memory

[This message has been edited by Alec (edited 08 March 2000).]

Comment

No, don't use Matrox Overclock, it does not truely support the G200 chipset. Get MGATweak from the MURC home page, it is very easy to use, doesn't eat too much in the way of resources (it can also be closed after you set the speed, I never leave it running while I am gaming), and comes with good documentation. Just make sure you set the shortcut to the program to "run minimized" so it will retain all your settings. And coolers are very easy to install - almost all of them come either an adhesive pad (just stick it on the graphics chip) or push pins that line up with the holes next to the graphics chip. The Tennmaxx runs around $20, but you can also find good coolers at places like www.2cooltek.com and http://millisec.safeshopper.com/ for cheaper.

------------------

Comment

What should be the optimum settings for me to reach 100Mhz withot cooling (for now)?

Comment

Although I don't overclock my videocard usually, I did put a fan on it. My computer suffered from unexpected crashes last summer. Turned out to be a too hot G200... I put a <font face="arial">€</font>5 486-fan on it. I was in luck, didn't have have to screw it on, just snap it on.
                  Although, when you have to screw, you absolutly don't need to force things, it's really really easy.

After that, I never experienced crashes due to overheating again.

------------------
                  Randy Simons
                  Digital Dreams Software http://www.dgdr.com/

[This message has been edited by Randy Simons (edited 08 March 2000).]

Comment

Is this cooler OK? Must I put it on the heatsink of my G200 or will I have to remove it and put it directly on the chip?

http://millisec.safeshopper.com/11/48.htm?85336

Comment

Olá Alec!

Well, I feel good being a rare person C´mon, I think here in Portugal overclocking is a main issue, because people don´t have the cash to buy the greatest latest cpu/video card so we are forced to overclock the hell out of we get Of course there is always this guy that buys a beautiful "linha branca" with a PIII 600 and a S3 trio 3d AGP, and he doesn´t even know what overclocking is... in other countries they are the majority also.

Back to the G200: It´s very easy to attach a fan to the heatsink. I did it with my G200 - unfortunely it didn´t overclock that well even with a fan - 100mhz core was the max I got - didn´t got very lucky with the chip. Just buy a cheap pentium fan/heatsink (aí 1000 paus deve chegar), remove the fan and glue it with super glue (super cola 3).

Chega cola aos bordos do suporte da ventoinha e depois pressiona contra os pinos do dissipador da G200. Podes crer que fica bem colada e depois é relativamente fácil de tirar, sem deixar grandes vestígios. Depois é só ligar a ficha da ventoinha a uma ligação livre da fonte de alimentação, e pronto, já está!

Comment

Valeu, Nuno!

Não conheço ninguém que "overcloque". Ainda bem que estavas atento, porque já ia comprar uma ventoinha através da net e ia gastar praí 4 contos e tal...

Obrigado e até à vista.

Thanks everybody, problem solved!

Comment

De nada, amigo!
                          Um abraço e boa sorte no overclocking da G200!

Comment

My old G200 made it to 120/160 without any additional cooling.

------------------
                            Celeron PPGA 400 @ 540
                            Soyo 6BA+ IV, 128MB PC100, G400 16MB SH, SB Live! Value, Maxtor Plus 6800 20GB 7,200rpm

Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

Wowie! Is it SDram or SGram?

I´m incrementing speed little by little (4mhz bits) and it´s going OK...

mmm... I smell smoke

Comment

Working...
                              X