• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimum monitor/G400MAX settings

Monitor : Sony GDM500PS
    Card : G400MAX 32Meg 360Mhz Dual Head
    Question:
    Currently I run it at 1600x1200 with a refresh rate of 85Mhz. This is the "best" the manual for the monitor states. But obviously it can do other things not in the manual since I ran it at an obscene 2xxx at one stage by only 66Mhz.

Since NT doesn't support monitor files, and I'm confused about writing my own MGA.MON file, can anyone help me get a high refresh rate at higher than 1600x1200 resolution?

You can use PowerDesk to create a custom monitor config. You should be pretty safe with that 500PS (though it does make me jealous). I have a 420GS, and I just chose a resolution that I wanted, and used PowerDesk to go up 1Hz @ a time. The logic in the monitor should protect it, and give you an black screen with "out of scan range" displayed. Wait the 15seconds, let the program back off the new resolution since you didn't respond in time, and you should be good. I didn't make it too much higher myself (90Hz instead of 85 @ 1280x960), but this is probably the way to go about it.

Well, you could also do the math and see what the pixel clock's max rate is, but that's a little more complicated, and the monitor's logic may not go that far anyway.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Oops, sorry. I have no clue about NT. I should read more carefully next time.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thank you for the reply ... and yes NT is a bit of a problem. I'm really just worried I'll blow the monitor up ... I did run it at an obscene rate as I said but 66Mhz ... I would have loved 85Mhz at the obscene size (i think I actually got it to twice the resolution - somewhere in the 3200 range). But fear made me stop.

Comment

Working...
        X