No announcement yet.

How do I up my refresh rate in WinNT4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I up my refresh rate in WinNT4?

Hello-

The only refresh rate I have available in WinNT4 w/ PD 4.43 is 75 Hz and 85 Hz.

My monitor can go to 100+.

There's a non Matrox utility that can increase this right? What is it?

Thanks for any info...

Okay, so I found PowerStrip from entech.

PowerStrip won't let me up the refresh rate? Powerstrip locks it at 85 too- none of the pulldowns or sliders allow it to do anything else.

I know this monitor will accept a 120 Hz+ rate at my resolution.

Anyone have any tips? Thanks!

Comment

Well I was going to suggest downloading your latest monitor profile however I remembered it doesn't work on NT

Well I didn't get the option.

Doh.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

When you start the PowerStrip, you have to select "Custom" refresh rate support or you will be limited to those rates enumerated by the display driver.

(I'm not sure why you can't use PD though...)

Comment

I select "custom" and Powerstrip still doesn't allow me to go past 75 Hz at 1152x864!

What the heck is going on?

Powerstrip says my monitor is capable of going to 160 Hz- I assume this is at 640x460. I know it can do at least 92 Hz at 1152x864.

Are there any other programs out there that allow you to change refresh rates?

Thanks!

Comment

If your monitor maxes at 160Hz - it maxes at 160Hz even if the resolution is 1x1. Your max refresh rates at 1152x864 is determined by your max horizontal scan frequency. Depending on the monitor type you select, the PowerStrip/G400 max at 1152x864 is *170*Hz.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you accomplish the same thing with the provided Matrox Display Propoerties Applet from the control panel?

Least that's how I've done it with both G200's, 400's and 400 Max's.

Go to the monitor tab, select you monitor (or near facsimile), properties, select a resolution and click test. You'll get a test screen with the option to edit the settings. Click yes and change the refresh.

Back out once done and save you changes as a customization.

Powerstrip is nice, but I dropped it because of the cumbersome interface and it seemed to get itself in a turf fight with Powerdesk.

Dobber

"Ordered a Max, got a M3D instead"

Comment

W/ my Win2K & G200 at home, the _only_ resolution available to select is 75 Hz in 1152x864.

W/ my WinNT4 & G400 at work, the highest resolution available to select is 85 Hz in 1152x864.

My monitor at home can do 130 Hz and my monitor at work can do 160 Hz @ 1152x864. Yes, it would be nice if Matrox's display properties would allow me to select these refresh rates, but it doesn't. Hence the need for Powerstrip.

Comment

Okay, thanks. I finally got it working. The "custom refresh rate" switch on open was one part of the problem. The other was I had to select "custom" type monitor and overstate the frequency capabilites of the monitor from what PowerStrip thinks it is capable of doing.

The lastest version of PowerStrip works on Win2K- so I can finally get something better than 75Hz at home w/ my G200.

I have to say, PowerStrip's UI is rather kludgy and cumbersome. Stuff is not nearly intuitive as it could be... Had to rant. At least the darn things finally works!

Speaking of which, isn't there another utility out there that overrides Windows/Matrox refresh rates? Thought I remember seeing another name go by at one point...

Comment

Try selecting a generic monitor and changing the refresh rate. I've been able to drive a variety
                    Dobber

"Ordered a Max, got a M3D instead"

Comment

Working...
                    X