Help! VMM(01) error on G400, Win98SE startup; intermittent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! VMM(01) error on G400, Win98SE startup; intermittent

Can anyone advise me on this one? I reinstalled Windows 98 SE (long story), and everything was going fine until I installed the latest drivers (5.41 and 5.52--both give the same error) for my G400 MAX (with Rainbow Runner G attached). Now, intermittently, I will get blue screen at startup that says that a fatal exception 0E has occured in VMM(01). This problem is intermittent; right now, for example, the system started up without a problem. Furthermore, whenever I try to shut down or restart, the system hangs with the mouse cursor on a black background.

I have checked my IRQ assignments, and the Matrox does not share any IRQs. AGP Aperture = 128MB, no spread spectrum, no video BIOS or video shadow cacheable. I have not yet installed the VIA drivers for my motherboard (Epox EP-MVP3G5), but I am a little wary of installing them because I think that the drivers cause problems with my >32 GB hard drive (at least the IDE drivers probably do). PCIList reports AGP 2x is enabled, and Fast Writes are not supported.

Try setting the AGPFlags in your registry to 1 or 2 and enable AGP Fallback

Comment

Well it's not really much help but it also happens to me in both Win98SE and NT4 (sp6a) - more in 98, once in NT since - installing the latest PD's. And that's running a G200 rather that a 400. It doesn't happen at boot time - usually when the machine is just sat their idle. I've switched off Power Management as I suspected that was causing it and it hasn't happened since, but that was only a couple of days ago so not conclusive.

Please let me know if you pin it down.
      Ta.

------------------
      Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...
      Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...

Comment

SeanTek

did you try "pcispy.exe -c" in your autoexec.bat file? it come with the unified bios. it is a pci address space checker. on my board it says;

conflict detected...
        resolving problem!

i put this line as my first in the autoexec.bat...it might be worth a shot!

one last thing...if you have a mix of pci 2.0 and 2.1 cards, make sure that the compatability flag..force pci 2.1,,(yes/no), is set to "no"

good luck!
        chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 07 March 2000).]

Comment

Working...
        X