Auto Shut Down - No Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Shut Down - No Choice

Started up in Win 98SE and after the Win 98 graphic display the the computer automatically powers off with the shut down display message.

Please help.

I am using Tyan S1854 v3 BIOS 1.0, VIA 133A, P3 600EB, EMS HS133 128 mem, HD WD 273, HP CD-RW, NIC 3Com(slot 4 no sharing) and G400 MAX(p/n with 4A)using intrp 11.

I installed the latest maxtrox drivers(5.52) and VIA AGP driver.

This is a newly build computer system. I am installing one card at a time and testing. It was working fine until I installed new programs.

Prior to this problem I could not shutdown. The system would freeze at black screen and mouse pointer. I solved the problem by adjusting the AGP Aperture Size to 16M. The system shuts down and started up perfectly.
    I then loaded new software that I used on another computer with no problems. The next time I booted up it shut down automatically.

What happened? Do I uninstall/reinstall new software, drivers? How do I prevent this in the future? Are the Matrox/VIA drivers that problematic?

Any help would be appreciated.

Does everything work when using standard VGA drivers?

Comment

Hi joelea,

Do you happen to have an anti-virus program installed? If so, try disabling the scan A: on shutdown.

Rags

Comment

I have no antivirus program installed.

I did boot in safe mode OK.

Rebooted to safe mode and then selected step by step and said "Y" yes to everything but the next to last command for the "vgartd.vxd" matrox driver which I said "N" then it booted up to the desktop, no problem, all programs worked OK and no auto shut down.

Comment

AFAIK, that driver is to enable AGP transfers on your board. Have you tried forcing AGP 1X? The reg hacks found on the download page of www.murc.ws allows you to force AGP 1X, this may help.

Rags

Comment

I disabled the AGP 4X mode in the Award BIOS. I did this because I would get a garbled display(color patches/lines). AGP 4X never worked. I thought this forced the AGP to next lower level.

But prior to adding the new s/w the display worked with the same bios settings. I will go and try to force the AGP 1X.

It appears the G400 MAX requires alot of tweaking to work at any AGP level.

Comment

I think you will find that many new AGP video cards will require tweaking of some sort with your VIA chipset, especially if you want to use newer drivers. You have tried uninstalling the matrox drivers, shutting down, go into your bios and disable "read around write", boot up stay with a standard PCI VGA Adapter, install your VIA drivers, reboot install your matrox drivers and reboot again, right?

Rags

Comment

joelea

check your bios and make sure there are *NO* countdown timers on in the power management section(ie suspend timeout/standby timeout). enable power management and the type of power management(ie suspend or standby).

chucky

Comment

I had the black-screen-mouse-pointer problem and here's how I fixed it:

- Dropped down to 5.41 drivers
                  - Installed AGP driver from VIA (ONLY the AGP driver - not the entire 4-in-1)
                  - Installed shut-down supplement from MS

I didn't run any registry hacks.

I couldn't get any drivers besides 5.3 & 5.41 to work with my system (haven't tried 5.52 yet, but I'm from the if-it-ain't-broke school)

------------------
                  PIII @ 550
                  IWill Motherboard
                  VIA Chipset
                  128Meg
                  G400 DH 32MB (5.41 Drivers)
                  DirectX 7.0
                  SB Live! Value
                  8x DVD (Toshiba)
                  6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                  Optiquest V95 19"
                  HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                  Microtek flatbed scanner
                  Intellimouse Explorer
                  Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                  AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!
                  PIII 550@605
                  IWill Motherboard VD133
                  VIA Chipset
                  512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                  G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                  DirectX 8.0a
                  SB Live! Value
                  8x DVD (Toshiba)
                  6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                  Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                  3Com CMX Cable Modem
                  Optiquest V95 19"
                  HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                  Microtek flatbed scanner
                  Intellimouse Explorer
                  Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                  AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

For a brief period of time I was running 98se and I remeber a patch for shutdown problems (in 98se). Get it at windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Comment

My system did the same thing until I installed the Soyo AGP drivers (off the motherboard CD) prior to installing the video card driver. problem disappeared.
                      Matt

Comment

I did install the MS Windows shutdown patch.

What I will do is reinstall the VIA AGP driver and the Matrox drivers and see if that helps.

When I installed the VIA AGP driver I did it after the Matrox drivers were installed.

How do I verify if the drivers are nstalled? Do I use the device manager?

Thanks for all the advice. I will post again after I try to reinstall the drivers.

Again thanks for all the help.

Joel

Comment

Working...
                        X