To any MSI K7Pro MB users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To any MSI K7Pro MB users...

I have an MSI K7Pro motherboard on the way with an Athlon 600MHz with it. I was just wondering how Athlon users have been fairing with the G400MAX as I am considering ditching my Diamond Viper II, and thinking about buying a G400MAX card... any info will be useful, please give your opinion with your system config, thanks in advance...

------------------
    Beware of Campin' Carbon
    Beware of Campin' Carbon

I have a similar config. on it's way via UPS (who suck, btw - can't deliver from 40 miles away in 2 friggin days.... I'm in college, can't afford a damn car). Most people say that they are having no problems with this board, even with AGP 2X & sidebanding enabled. Check on www.andzone.com for more details. Do a search for the board in combo with the MAX and you'll find a lot. I think maybe one or two people had a problem with it, but that's about it. It's a great combo from what I can tell. I can't wait to put mine together.

Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

One or two USB related problems, but otherwise rock solid.

------------------
      System 1:
      Micro-Star K7Pro (MS-6195) Motherboard, AMD Athlon 550 @ 900MHz , 256MB PC-100 CAS2 SDRAM, Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead Max, Matrox Rainbow Runner G-Series, Creative Soundblaster Live! Player 1024, Promise FastTak66 RAID Controller (not currently active), 22GB IBM ATA/66 HDD, Panasonic SR-8584 6x DVD-ROM, Yamaha CRW8424 IDE CDR/RW, Panasonic SuperDisk LS-120, Netgear FA310TX 100m/bit PCI NIC. Windows 98SE / Windows 2000 Pro (Dual Boot).

Comment

I have an Athlon 600 with MSI K7 Pro and G400MAX. I have problems with games and Sound Forge freezing up. The problems are easily fixed with a couple of registry changes (but is annoying). If I were you, I probably wouldn't buy a G400MAX yet (unless you really want dual-head). The card is kind of getting old in the 3D part of it. The newer cards coming out can do hardware texture&lighting. Since you have a ViperII, maybe you should wait for the next generation of cards.

Comment

oops, that should of been tranform&lighting (not texture)

Comment

Transform & Lighting is just hype.

If you already have a ViperII I would keep it until the G800â„¢ comes out

Comment

Grrrr
              If any one ever mentions that again
              *G800*
              I will flip.
              If i see that word again i am going to the computer store and demand the G800 - and if they do not have it - well bye bye computer store!

I mean i am so psyched up allready i can not take it any more.
              Buy the G400!!!!
              That is my answer to your question.
              And if it does not work for you get something else.

And by the way T&L is not just hype.
              A dedicate DSP might just do it for the T&L part.
              I believe if Matrox does it in the G8...

ARGH!!!! allmost said it!

Well what i am trying to say is - if Matrox does it it will work.
              But so far the Geforce is not really performing as well as expected when looking at data-sheets.
              I checked out some Athlon 800 reviews specifically to check the G400MAX vs Geforce DDR issue and to my amazement the Geforce stayed about 1 to 4 frames faster than the G400 MAX on that platform at high res and high detail tests.

Well that is shocking.
              I mean the Geforce has a theoretic fillrate of 1.6 that of the MAX's and it also has 2 T&L pipelines not counting the 1600Mb more memory bandwidth.
              I would have expected a bit more than 4 fps in a 40+fps race.

Remember that this is not counting Quake3Arena though.But then again the image quality of the Geforce is not near that of the G400's so it simply cancels that lead for me.

So what must you get.
              1.If you want to brag and know your lying -get the geforce
              2.If you want the best solution now - allround - get the G400 MAX
              3.If you can keep your head on untill the G800 comes out - GET IT!

So yes - we can say G800 again.
              I would not smile without that word - even though it makes me mad as well

*From the notebook of a madman*
              You all may think this is not important.
              BUT IT IS AMATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!

Comment

LOL

Comment

My opinion, it seems to be a great combo performance wise. I finaly ditched V-2 SLI combo that I was using with my old K6-2 450 setup that I replaced w/K7pro and Athlon 600. Turbo GL on the athlon makes that much of a difference. 76 fps in Quake II at 1024x768 with a vanila G400,clocked at 198/148.5. Unreal Tournament demo I can run around w/ 8 bots and average 50 FPS. Pretty cool. Halflife in OGL is fine too. Duke Nukem Forever, here I come!!!
                  MSI K7Pro, Athlon600, 256 meg PC100, G400 SGRAM 32 meg single, Ensoniq Audio PCI, WD 13 gig HD, Plextor 40 max SCSI, Diamond Fireport 20, Yamaha 4x6 CD writer SCSI, Generic NEC2000 network card,
                  Viewsonic E771 monitor Win98 SE

Comment

Look into my eyes, you're feeling sleepy...so sleepy...focus your mind.....sleepy....focus......sleepy....close your eyes......sleeeeeepyyyyy... ...ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.......<font size="100 face="Ariel">G800!!!!!!!!!!!!</font>

Ghydda - just messin' with ya!
                    As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
                    My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
                    |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

I have a MSI K7Pro with and an Athlon 600 and a G400 MAX, i've had no problems related to them,

Plus the K7Pro comes with 6PCI

------------------

Comment

hey hey hey,

anyway, ive got a msi 6167 mobo and im happy with it. but im starting to build a new system for a bud. and im thinking k7pro but i want to know have they fixed the irq assignment for pci slots in the bios. i mean can you set the irq's the way you wnat to use them or is it still like the 6167 and you have to play card slot swap to get things perfect. ???????

noel
                        msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Hey Merchant, you will be a card swapper. No assignable IRQs. Maybe if enough of us e-mail MSI they will fix it with bios update. If you want assignable IRQ's, get a EPOX board. (interesting enough the K7Pro was the first board that didn't share PCI slot 1 with the AGP card irq)
                          MSI K7Pro, Athlon600, 256 meg PC100, G400 SGRAM 32 meg single, Ensoniq Audio PCI, WD 13 gig HD, Plextor 40 max SCSI, Diamond Fireport 20, Yamaha 4x6 CD writer SCSI, Generic NEC2000 network card,
                          Viewsonic E771 monitor Win98 SE

Comment

Yeah, PCI2 shares an IRQ with AGP instead though.....

Comment

Working...
                            X