G400 tv - x4AGP & Tyan S1854 mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 tv - x4AGP & Tyan S1854 mobo

Tyan's site says that 4x agp doesn't work with this card. Is this a Matrox problem or am I gonna have to wait for a bios update from Tyan?

Thanx

Earlier G400s where 2x/4x. That means they did 2x transfers, but would still fit in a 4x slot (and auto-adjust to the proper voltage).
    Newer G400s (with an "A4" in the middle of the part number) are full 4x cards.
    So, If your's is a card without the "A4", 2x is the best you will get. Not that it makes any difference...1x, 2x, 4x mean next to nothing in todays apps and games....
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Does the G400TV have the same part numbering series (G4+MVTA16GRN this is the number on my new card) I've seen some people in newsgroups posting their numbers and they just don't seem similar. And one other question. I'm not complaining but, I bought a card that Matrox says is AGP X4. The acrobat pdf. says it's AGP X4. If it's not, will I be able to upgrade it with a bios update or can I sent it to Matrox and have it updated? If I bought a car the sales brochure says has a turbo and I take it home and find out there is no turbo shouldn't the manufacturer make this right by either putting a turbo in my car or giving some of my money back?

Sorry for bitching.

Comment

I agree with you, but if you question Tyan about it, I think you'll find they can't name a *single* card anywhere or by anyone that actually does work at 4x on their board.

Comment

ATI Rage 128 GL SM (32MB)
          Diamond Viper-770 (32MB)
          NVIDIA GeForce NV10 (32MB)
          Passed all tests
          As per their web site

Comment

Now list the software, game or application, that supports and benefits from this standard.

If you like, you can spend even more money, and purchase hardware that supports the AGP 4x Pro spec, and, joy of joys, you won't find any software that supports it either.

Right now, the AGP 4x spec is science fiction. It's a marketing scam. It has been tested over and over again and has no one has noticed a performance difference between AGP 4x and AGP 2x.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Kruzin, is the "4A" business true with the Marvel? The manual very specifically states it supports 4x transfers on the appropriate hardware.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Have built three systems of late with this MB, one with an old (2x) G400 Max which works fine at 2x, and another with a new G400 Max which runs great at 4x. Neither of these systems will run AT ALL with drivers newer than 5.41...
                The last setup was a TNT2 on the 1854 which also runs fine at 4x...and can also use Nvidia's latest drivers and not crash, unlike the Matrox cards.........

Comment

Hey, sorry, I didn't mean it wasn't *possible* under any circumstances.

But you have to admit that in this case you are going to have to get the latest VIA GART manager and do some fiddling with BIOS settings, and then probably go mucking about in the registry with some undocumented driver switches as well. Even with an NVidia card...

I take it for granted many people here can get just about anything up and working, but I doubt if the average Tyan user is running 4x regardless of the card they're using.

Comment

Yes i agree this is quite shitty.
                    I boaght my G400MAX 3 months ago from matrox's online store and there it also specifically stated that the card was AGP 4x compliant.
                    But when i recieved it it only had an A in the serial and not an A4.
                    PCIList also states that my card is only 2x capable.
                    What gives.

Since then i went back to South Africa and that is only when i saw this.
                    I know 4x makesno difference at this stage of the fight but what pi@#@s me off is the fact that i paid for something i did not recieve.
                    And it is not as if i can just send it mack to Matrox - I am in South Africa remember.
                    Grrrr
                    That makes me mad.
                    But anyway i am happy with it.
                    I am going to sell it.
                    Ask some local retailers if it is 4x and buy it from them - if it isn't well they will have to pay.
                    hehehe
                    You all may think this is not important.
                    BUT IT IS AMATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!

Comment

By the time we actually see games that need AGP 4x (and this is going to be one hell of a long time), I think you'll find that there is a whole new generation of cards avalible.

I think that the currect generation of video cards - the G400 included will run out of puff way before they manage to exceed the data transfer rate offered by AGP 2x let alone 4x.

Any game that managed to send this much data across the AGP bus would probaly use textures that are so huge that the game itself would be several gigabytes in size.
                      What do you want a signature for?

Comment

By the time we actually see games that need AGP 4x (and this is going to be one hell of a long time), I think you'll find that there is a whole new generation of cards avalible.

I think that the currect generation of video cards - the G400 included will run out of puff way before they manage to exceed the data transfer rate offered by AGP 2x let alone 4x.

Any game that managed to send this much data across the AGP bus would probaly use textures that are so huge that the game itself would be several gigabytes in size.

Chill out guys, AGP 2x is perfectably suitable for everyone for the moment and for the forseeable future. Remember, many people are using cards on motherboards supporting the original AGP 1x configuration, and most of these are quite happy with the speed of their graphics.
                        What do you want a signature for?

Comment

Working...
                        X