funky g400 max machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funky g400 max machine

Thanks to everyone for their responses to my previous post.

I've got everything I need to build my latest dream machine but I'm having a few problems.

I have an asus k7m motherboard (with onboard audio)and an Athalon 650 - 256MB pc100 CAS 2 memory (2 sticks, only using 1 so far), a maxtor 40GB drive, internal zip and a g400 max using irq 11. My power supply is 250W and on AMD's approved list. I'm running win98se. I've also tried a 300W power supply with the same results.

When I first power up the computer it does not always start - everything spins up but usually I have to hit the reset button a number of times before the bios actually kicks in and takes over. Also I've loaded the 5.52 drivers and now the computer locks up at the win98 splash screen.

Also I usually get some sort of NVRAM error message such as "Checking NVRAM - Update Failed - No NVRAM" at startup.

Any insight would be much appreciated - thanks.

[This message has been edited by pdsman (edited 02 March 2000).]

Im not so sure about that this isn't caused by the power supply. I know you've tried another one, but this definately sounds like a power problem to me. I know your supply is on the AMD approved list, but the symptons you describe sound exactly like the processor is trying to draw too much power.

See if you can try another supply, perhaps one out of a full tower case. Not all power units are made equal, the 300W supply in my full tower case packs more amps than the one of identical wattage in my midi tower.

I have a similar MB/CPU config to you along with a G400 MAX. The only difference is that I'm running an Athlon 800 - which uses less power due to its smaller die size. I've had no problems with my power supply, although I have seen other machines with slower CPUs run into the same problems as you describe.
    What do you want a signature for?

Comment

Apart from the intermitent startup problems the computer is stable when in safe mode - just doesn't seem to handle the matrox drivers very well at all - can a different driver affect the power requirements and be causing the instability?

I loaded directx 7.0a and it went past the splash screen and into windows but now it just hangs with the hourglass. I've got 4.50 version of the AMD AGP miniport driver which I'm going to try next.

Comment

I have a buddy whose system had the same symptoms (different vid card), and it was a bad stick of RAM. The BIOS has to load to RAM to boot, or so I was told..I'm not an expert, and his BIOS wouldn't come up, similar to your problem. Swapped a stick, and been good since. He was using my old Enlight 250W PS, we changed to an Antec 300 to be sure it wasn't the PS, but the 250 works great now that his RAM is right.

Comment

Working...
        X