Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Case

Doc Mordrid

Where can one get the Super Case by Apex? Thanks.

DJ

I've seen them at about every computer trade show I've been to but online one source is The Chip Merchant store on Yahoo;

http://store.yahoo.com/thechipmerchant

The Apex Super Case's page is;

http://store.yahoo.com/thechipmerchant/41542.html

They list it for $70 USD.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Doc,

I have a question for you regarding the Super Case. I've been thinking about trying to get a larger case for my system so I can fit everything in. The problem is, I have this friend who has this huge tower case for his system, but half the drive bays are so far away from the motherboard that you can't possibly reach them with standard 18 inch IDE cables. Even worse is trying to reach from his Fast Trak card to the drive bays. His system came with some 22 inch IDE cables and they seem to work OK with his older hard drives, but I have heard that you shouldn't use longer cables with UDMA 33 or 66 drives.

What I am wondering is if this Super Case is somehow designed so as to make it possible to reach the drive bays from the mobo with standard 18" IDE cables?

If 18" cables won't reach, what are you using instead, and how well is your system working?

Thanks!

Rick
      http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Greetings,

I also liked the sound of the Super Case review that Doc put together. Then there's the issue of a full tower case and getting the IDE cable to reach from a PCI controller card up to upper portion of the case. What I ended up doing was getting an Enlight EN-8950 case. In height it is not quite as tall as my mid-tower case, but it has 9 externally available 5-1/4 bays up and down the front. The dimension from front to back is quite a bit more than for most cases, so nothing in those bays ends up over top of the motherboard. But best of all, it's not nearly as long of a reach to get the IDE cables to drives in those bays. Just another possibility. I ended up paying US$156.00 for my case (no power supply, shipping included), so I'd say Doc got a slightly better deal price wise, but I couldn't beat having 9 external bays up and down the front (plus one 3-1/2 for the floppy).

Greg

Comment

The Fasttraks standard 18" drive cables reach the bottom four bays of the Super Case with room to spare.

They sit right next to the top third of the Asus P3B-F mainboard. With the Fasttrak in slot 3 it's almost right under to them.

I'm still very happy with it. My system is very well cooled because of all the fans and the cable clutter is a lot better than in my previous tower. Getting the power and audio cables into one passage and the ribbons into another helped that a lot.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 07 January 2000).]

Comment

Working...
          X