Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Keep Icon loction with new drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Keep Icon loction with new drivers?

I am wondering if there is a way to "save" the saved locations of windows iconsin PD. Is there a way to upgrade PD versions without haveing to rearange the icons and resaveing, while doing the 'proper' way of uninstalling useing the Matrox utility?

I've had no problems upgradeing over an older version before, but I want to upgrade my VTs also. So I figue I might as well do thing the right way the first time.

Thanks,
    Mark F.

------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
    --------------------------------------------------
    and burped out a movie

There´s a way that I haven´t tried, but that should work:

Go to the registry and locate the entries for the desktop icons positions. Copy them and then, after reinstalling the new drivers, merge them in (manually or not).

Hope it works.

Comment

Is messing with the reg the only way?

Mark F.

------------------
      and burped out a movie

and burped out a movie

Comment

Probably a lot simpler and safer by right clicking on the desktop and arrange icons by name or whatever you want. Takes about three clicks nice and simple.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Icon positions are not the only concern for me. There are also saved desktop schemes, hot keys, and a really big one: custom refresh rates. Hacking all of that stuff out of the registry is a pain.

So here's how I do it:
          Install the new driver right over the old ones. When it asks if you want to overwrite settings with default settings, leave that box unchecked.

I know everyone and their brother around here says to always fully uninstall old drivers before putting new ones on. I don't agree. Uninstall the drivers IF you have problems AFTER installing the new ones.

I go through quite a few more builds of drivers most of you do for my G400. Since I started beta testing almost a year ago, I have only fully uninstalled the drivers twice. Once when I switched from my G200 to my G400, and once when I had some problems. Other than that, it has worked fine for me, and all of my desktop info is carried from driver version to the next...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin,

If you are worried by the custom refresh rates, why dont you save your monitor settings to a customization file and after installation just load it up again ? =)

Or whont that do the trick ? Funny, when i installed the newest drivers, i used the uninstall prog, and after installation when i turned my 1st monitor back to 1600x1200 it automaticly used 82Hz, witch i had manually put there before install..

Pe-Te

Comment

I know everyone and their brother around here says to always fully uninstall old drivers before putting new ones on. I don't agree. Uninstall the drivers IF you have problems AFTER installing the new ones.
              I did that all the time, Kruzin, until the TGL manager started telling me that "This version of the PD is either newer or older than the one you used to install TGL.", or in other words: Goodbye TGL.

So, if that can be fixed as well??

Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

I customised my Monitor settings and this picked up everytime on a new driver install despite uninstalling the drivers using the mga uninstaller.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

OK - I have no problems 'trying' to install 5.52 over my 5.30 drivers. So, is there a way to uninstall the VT drivers (suposed to use UNINSTALL), do the 'easy' PD upgrade, and then install newer VT; without problems?

Mark F.

------------------
                  and burped out a movie

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 29 February 2000).]
                  and burped out a movie

Comment

PeTe -n- Pit you are probably correct about the refresh rates. They are stored in a different area of the registry, so they may be left alone. As I said, it's been a while since I uninstalled the drivers (at least 15 or 20 builds ago). But there are still icon positions, schemes, and hot keys that I prefer to hang on to...

Jorden - That problem is fixed in the latest non-public beta of the TurboGL. TGL Manager no longer cares what version of PD you are running. Until they are released, how about just re-installing TGL when upgrading the main drivers?

Mark F - I have never used the video tools (no Marvel or RRG here), so I don't know....you might ask that question in the desktop video forum, where all the vid tool junkies hang out...
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

OK will do.
                      Already tried PowerDesk forum with no reponces.

Thanks,
                      Mark F.

------------------
                      and burped out a movie

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 01 March 2000).]
                      and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                      X