Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W98 won't boot after driver installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W98 won't boot after driver installation?

Now this is really getting annoying, it happened with the 5.41 drivers, the beta 5.50, and now it is happening with the new 5.52.
    I begin with using pd_uninstaller to uninstall the current drivers. Then I reboot. I install VGA drivers, reboot again. Then I'm ready to install the 5.52, so I run the setup.exe file.
    After it finishes, I have to reboot once again. Then when I enter w98, it just freezes with messed up graphics (irregular thick, horizontal green lines over my wallpaper)right before loading the icons.
    Each time I reboot, the same thing happens.
    So I uninstall the drivers (using safe mode).
    Reboot. Install VGA drivers. Reboot. Install 5.50 drivers. Reboot. SAME thing, freezes before entering w98. The same thing happens when I try installing 5.41, or even 5.11.
    The last time I had this problem, I solved it by formatting everyting, and installing w98 again, that made it work fine. The problem occurs, when I try to install drivers for the second time, after a format.
    I was told to run msinfo32 when in safe mode, to see if there were any IRQ conflicts, but it won't work in safe mode, only in normal mode. I have also tried making a bootlog, but there weren't any error messages in it, only "success" everywhere in bootlog.txt.
    I really don't know what to do about this, it is really bugging me!!!

My system by the way: p3-450, G400-32MB, SB Live! value, and 128MB pc100 ram.

First you should skip that step of installing standard VGA drivers ... instead, upon bootup, point to the directory where your PD installation is extracted to and select the .inf file ...

Then you should post a complete listing of your system details with a listing of your IRQ assignments.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Maggi

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

You may have one of those machines that thinks it can run in agp x2 when it can't.
      Try Maggi's suggestion and if that doesn't work try downloading the reghacks and force agp x1. If that don't work post your system specs and irq etc
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
      X