G400 as a genlock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 as a genlock?

I just read a bit of the G400 chip specifications - it seems that the chip is able to add graphics on top of an overlay surface and I think this feature is used by the Matrox DVD player for subtitles.

But shouldn't it also be possible to generate this overlay from a video capture card so you could add graphics on top of a video source, similiar to a normal genlock? Somebody would just have to write the software for it.

Hé that woul be cool!

Come on, who thinks he can write such a prog
    Fauc

Comment

I'm sure that there are already some products out there that do exactly this. One was mentioned in a thread a while back. I think it was called something like "subway" but I can't find the thread.

Comment

You mean Sub station Alpha? Yes, it is a subtitling tool - but it assumes a conventional genlock which usually does luma or color-keying. I don't think that you could get it to work in they way I thought about.

When DVDMax is disabled one should be able to create a similiar effect by creating a full-screen window filled with purple (this seems to be the color used by the G400 for keying in the overlay) and add text on top of it - but without DVDMax you also get underscan and I don't think I need to explain why this is bad.

With DVDMax enabled you can still do the same, but you won't see anything of the imposed text or graphics on the TV, just on the monitor - but the DVD player proves that there is some way to add something on top of the DVDMax output. Anyone out there who wants to analyze CINEMAST.DLL? Oh, and please disable macrovision on output while you do so...

Comment

Ingo Korb,

That's just the clue I needed. Yes, it was indeed Sub Station Alpha, and I remember having a conversation with someone about it a LONG time ago. I'm sure that there was a way of using it with the Rainbow Runner.

Anyway, a quick search on that name in the forum brought up thread http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001998.html which gives some info. It isn't the one that I was looking for but it should help

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X