Just about had enough!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just about had enough!

WTF is up with my g400 no matter what I have done it will not run any Open GL apps!
    Here is the setup:

Win98 ( no SE crap )
    FIC 2013 (2mb cache)
    AMD 400
    512 mb RAM
    3/8gig HDD
    MX300
    Intel NIC
    USR Modem
    And unfortunatly a new G400 Dual Standard

The only thing sharing an IRQ with the Vid card is "ACPI IRQ holder for PCI steering"

Problems:
    No OPEN GL App will run Unreal Tourny runs friggin great in D3D, but no Open GL will run not even screen savers

Things I have Tried:
    New vid drivers /Old Vid drivers
    Flashed Vid Bios / Flashed Board Bios
    Card swap / IRQ swap (as much as possible)
    New AGP Drivers / Old AGP Drivers
    IRQ Steering Drivers
    PCI Bus Drivers
    DX6 /DX7 /DX7a
    Reloaded OS bout 3 times to ensure that is was "CLEAN" bettween driver swaps
    And Yes I have installed these Turdbo-GL crap

So If any1 has any suggestion please post em
    cause this card is ready to go back to matrox chunk by chunk!!
    ( I passed up the GeForce for this? )

My first suggestion is that you read the <A HREF="http://forums.murc.ws/cgi-bin/ubbmisc.cgi?action=getannounce&ForumNumber=5&Start =2451510.99&End=2455198&Session=" target=_new>Forum Survival Guide!</A>

Then give us a complete listing of your IRQ assignments.

And forget about Unreal Tourney in OGL. The game's OGL support is "experimental" by Epic's own admission, and leaves much to be desired. Run this game in D3D.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

K
      As per
      Requested here is ALL!? irq assignments
      0 sys timer
      1 kybrd
      2 prgrm interupt cntrlr
      3 Com2
      4 Com1
      5 ACPI irq holder for pci irq steering
      5 Matrox Millennium
      6 Floppy controller
      7 Monster Sound II Sound blaster EMU
      8 System Cmos
      9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
      10 ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering
      10 Intel Ether Express
      11 ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering
      11 Monster Sound Parent
      11 Monster Sound II
      12 ps-2 mouse port
      13 Numeric processor
      14 VIA bus master IDE controller
      14 Primary IDE
      15 VIA Bus master IDE controller
      15 Secondary IDE

Hope this helps?!

About UT I know Unreal is better in D3D
      But I'm really ticked cause i cant play anything else
      TFC,Q3,Q2,Shogo,Driver.etc.....
      But Drakan does work as does UT.

Comment

Hi thumper,

Even though I have sworn to myself not to help people who come in here posting like an arse, I can feel for you...really.

First of all follow these steps:

Force your G400 to IRQ 9 or 10 or 11.

And do this exactly:
        Download the PD 5.30 drivers, download the 4in1 driver pack from Via, download the latest TGL from Matrox, download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in normal mode reboot and go into your bios and disable "read around write" save settings and exit, boot into windows and run the setup for PD 5.30, Run t reboot, run the TGL setup, and you should be up to speed. Also be sure you have dual head disabled when playing OpenGL games/apps, and your desktop is set to either 16bit or 32bit, NOT 24.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 26 February 2000).]

Comment

also, try forceing AGP 1X though the reg hacks.

Comment

You won't have to force 1X if you follow my procedure, it won't allow 2X.

Rags

Comment

Quick story,
              I love gaming, I own a TNT 1 someone offers me a good chunk of change for it so i sell it
              heck i was checking out the spec's on this g400 card or a GeForce. PC show comes around I go, I buy a 19" monitor another case and have just enough money in my pocket for a g400 ( although it means I dont eat for 1.5 weeks ). I buy it end up starving for 2.5 weeks and guess what the vid card dont work!! I must apoligize for my anger but after all i have gone through to get this bad boy workin i was stressed out, specially since i convinced 3 friend to buy a g400 also and their cards are working with no effort...

Thank you very very much RAGS I will finally be able to use my g400 as intended.... and I didnt have to murder any1 =]

Comment

hey rags since your a beta boy why dont you convince matrox to post this stuff on their faq page it would have saved me bout 2 weeks time

Comment

hey rags since your a beta boy why dont you convince matrox to post this stuff on their faq page it would have saved me bout 2 weeks time

Comment

Comment

tHUMp, just for the record, here are the problems that Rags is giving you fixes for (in case you have other problems with your system in the future you'll know some things to look for):[list=1][*] Your G400 was on IRQ 5. This is a low-priority IRQ that is usually used as the default for SoundBlaster emulation in DOS. The G400 is a high-priority card that uses a lot of resources (the more so in OGL), so having it on IRQ 5 is not appropriate. It does much better on an IRQ between 9 and 11.[*] Your SoundBlaster emulation was on IRQ 7. This is by default used for the printer port. I don't see an IRQ being used for USB, so I guess you don't have a USB printer... or perhaps you do not have a printer at all? If you aren't using SBemu in DOS, you have the option to remove/disable that device and let your printer port back onto the list (since you can use it to attach many external devices). If you <u>are</u> using SBemu, it's preferable that it should be on IRQ 5, unless you like changing SET BLASTER= statements and config settings in any DOS games you might play.[*] Various drivers may have been incompletely installed; Rags specified a routine that gives you a complete clean uninstall and reinstall.[*] VIA AGP drivers and G400 drivers may be conflicting: These drivers have to be installed in a particular order so as to avoid conflicts. It's understandable that the AGP drivers should be installed before the G400 drivers (which use AGP, as opposed to the VGA driver, which is considered to be fast PCI).[*] BIOS settings may have been wrong for SS7 snd G400: this is why you would disable "read around write". And of course BIOS is where you force IRQs as well.[/list=a]

Basically, the procedure described in Rags' post is designed to eliminate obvious conflicts and ensure that your system is properly configured. If you still have problems beyond that point, it is much easier to determine what might be involved if the system is correctly configured in the first place.

------------------------
                      Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 26 February 2000).]

Comment

ALSO from the FAQ of Matrox and FIC :

If you have problems with the FIC PA-2013, you can try the following:

- Be sure to have the latest Drivers and BIOS.

- Disable CPU to PCI Write Buffer.

Be sure that when you installed windows that your USB was enabled!!!!! and that you have the latest 4 in 1 patch from VIA

Comment

Working...
                        X